Sanford and Carter: Allele Frequencies and a YEC Adam and Eve

Sometimes the errors are so large that it is tempting to think that we are missing something because “they simply couldn’t have missed this.” So we find ourselves feeling unsure when, in fact, the obvious criticism really is that obvious. I believe that is what we have here though I have only glanced at Sanford ICC paper. BTW, notice that they do include two references to Jeanson but they only tangentially use them early in the introduction. They don’t interact with Jeanson’s ideas. I think that is partially because it is hard to say that Jeanson has a model to interact with. Despite his insistence that he has a testable model other YECs don’t seem to find it useful to talk about and test.

Exactly, that really hits the nail on the head. Especially since I’m commenting outside my area of expertise, it’s nice to just get some reassurance that I’m not missing something obvious.

@evograd this is the crux of Jeanson’s argument. Everything else is a distraction. He has an incorrect way of computing mutation rates. He uses this incorrect mutation rate, which is far too high, to estimate m-MRCA, and it ends up very recent. He ignores autosomal-MRCA and y-MRCA because he can’t pull out of a hat such an absurd mutation rate.

Without his mito-mutation rate he has nothing new to add.

Now I’m second-guessing myself again (third-guessing?).

In this 2016 article in ARJ, Jeanson draws a distinction between the AFS and the variants present in each individual:

To clarify, within the world-wide human population, over 84 million total SNV sites have been identified (1000 Genomes Project Consortium et al. 2015). Rare variants, by definition, represent most of these 84 million sites. Since common variants would be present at identical sites in a variety of different individuals, common variants would constitute the minority of sites—they show up frequently but add little to the total number of different sites. By contrast, within each individual, only 3.5–4.3 million SNVs exist on average, and the vast majority of SNVs (>80%) within a single individual are common variants (1000 Genomes Project Consortium et al. 2012, 2015). Thus, within each individual, >80% of the nuclear SNVs (80% by the “common variant” criterion; >98% by Fig. 3B) are due to inheritance of alleles that arose via fiat creation during the Creation Week in Adam and Eve, and a small but significant minority of nuclear SNVs within an individual are due to mutations since Creation.

This seems to suggest that I was right (yay?) earlier when I said:

Or am I mistaken in trying to compare these 2 things, because one is the AFS across a whole population while the other is the proportion of variants separating 2 individuals in a population?

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

I am a minimalist.

For this reason, I would shy away from the AFS data. It is just not strong evidence. You risk muddying the waters, making it seem that all the evidence is debatable, just because this is.

I agree, although I’m still trying to figure out exactly how the autosomal TMRC4A is incompatible with the idea of “created heterozygosity” idea. Wouldn’t it come down to recombination rates etc? I don’t know, I’m not there yet.

I haven’t read either Jeanson or this paper by Sanford, but I don’t see anything wrong with your reasoning. The genetic distance between two genomes (hopefully comparisons are actually being calculated between genomes and not between diploid individuals – the latter is unnecessarily complicated) is a different quantity than the AFS for the population, but they’re related. If the AFS is calculated as absolute numbers rather than a proportion, it’s straightforward to calculate the mean number of differences between genome copies (for biallelic variants with frequency f, it’s just 2f(1-f), summed over all of the variants).

1 Like

Yes it comes down to recombination rates, and evidence of recombination, which we know very reliably and do not change very much at all.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be using the AFS to argue for an older bottleneck though, I’m specifically trying to understand how the AFS discussed in Sanford et al. fits in with the idea of created heterozygosity, and where the “created variants” would show up on the AFS.

OK, I’ll keep looking into it, there’s a lot to try and understand in that “heliocentric certainty” thread.

See what I said a moment ago:

What he says makes seems to make sense.