Side Comments on Christians in Science

I think this is a great topic and I am looking forward to reading everyone’s responses. I agree that there is a real need for a sensible framework to talk about these issues. My situation is likely different from other members here. I spent over 25 years as a research scientist, but four years ago I made a career change and now I teach at a small Christian university. As the only science professor, I am THE voice of science on campus (a terrifying responsibility). Thinking back to my research days, I didn’t think much about the integration of science and faith because it just didn’t come up. Contrary to what I’ve heard some science educators say, it is perfectly possible to do scientific research and even get a PhD in Molecular Biology without thinking much about evolution. Most of my research career was spent in cancer research and I was far too busy doing that to get involved in discussions of science and faith. I was also busy raising my son - my husband died when our son was 12, so on top of working 60 hours a week I had to raise a teenage boy by myself. It’s only since my son left home and I started teaching at Christian university that I’ve had the time or interest to think about these things. I’ll ponder the other questions and write more later.

11 Likes