The Character of God in the Bible

Absolutely! I mean to be specifically critical of that view, not of Christian morality generally.

1 Like

Our just do some research to learn about it. I’m inclined more to understand Christian morality from a virtue ethic point of view. There is a lot of debate here among Christians.

1 Like

Speaking only for myself here, I do wish that thoughtful and ethical Christians like yourself would take a much more vocal stand against Divine Command Theory and the behavior of Yahweh in the OT. Not that you need another cause, Joshua. :slight_smile: Maybe we need a peaceful community for moral philosophers to interact with Christians and theology.

5 Likes

No true Christian will speak out against God’s behavior in any Testament. Considering your own “morality” in a position to judge God is nothing other than Satanism. Pure and simple. Yes, “Christians” here, do we have any support for Satanic ideals? Any of you feel your morality is higher than God’s?

The trouble is that ordinary humans tend to speak as if their own testament is one and the same as God’s.

2 Likes

And that anyone who disagrees is…

“I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.” - Susan B. Anthony

6 Likes

Do you have anyone in mind? :wink:

There are a lot of different views available to you, here. Some folks I talk to see the Hebrew Bible as a collection of texts written by humans who were trying to understand their God to the best of their ability. Those folks might say that Israel got some of it right, but a lot of it wrong, and misunderstood what God actually wanted them to do to their neighbors.

Well, we can do more as we grow. Support us on Patreon (Peaceful Science | creating trust between scientists and the public. | Patreon). We are launching this more broadly soon, and I will be giving a more complete explanation of how we will be using the funds and why we need them. You, also, would not be the first non-Christian to be support us.

2 Likes

How does the virtue ethic point of view understand God’s murder of Egyptian children?

Ok, ok. Nice pivot. :clap: I’d already decided to give you some more of my money anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guarantee you there is Christian scholarship on how to think about questions like this. They are good questions too.

Jesus made it clear that one’s love for Him is defined by how well one treats one’s neighbors, which quite clearly is not limited to fellow Christians, as explained in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

That being said, it’s pretty remarkable how evangelicals go on about how much they love Jesus while omitting the expression of that second commandment.

That morality is clearly a significant departure from the OT that creationists appear to place well above Jesus, which makes no sense.

3 Likes

Even better, could it be, I don’t know:

2 Likes

I am absolutely speaking beyond my expertise, but I don’t think virtue ethics will provide much of a basis for calling those stories moral. In my limited experience it seems like DCT and a historical literalist view of the Hebrew Bible tend to go hand-in-hand because other moral views cannot rationalize those events. Believing both that those stories are literally true and that God is perfectly good requires some form of DCT to rescue God’s character, IMHO.

Why would it matter? Michael is your neighbor.

That’s quite the false dichotomy. It appears to be an authoritarian’s attempt to deflect sincere questions.

2 Likes

Excellent. Can you show some of it? What is your personal opinion?

{Insert obligatory reference to the Church Lady} :wink:

Sorry, what is DCT??