The Character of God in the Bible

Nothing in that video explains why God killed the firstborn kids of the Egyptians or why he had thousands of Jews killed simply because David ordered a head count.

At least Lazarus got a good ending, but what about the thousands of kids who die from malnutrition in Africa, or the women and children killed by gunmen and insurgents in Northeastern Nigeria. What about the thousands of people who are dead from Covid-19 or now suffering a chronic illness due to the disease. Jesus does nothing for this people and worse still, if they are not Christians when they die, they will burn in hell forever.

Finally, it makes no sense for Jesus to claim he loved Lazarus, but delayed to heal him. In fact, the real reason why Jesus did not go to see him is clearly stated in John and it was a selfish one - he wanted glory.

John 11:3,4
3 So the sisters sent to him, saying, “Lord, he whom you love is ill.”
4 But when Jesus heard it he said, “This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it.”

If Jesus really wanted glory from a resurrection miracle, there was no need using Lazarus as a lab mice. If I were Jesus, I would have healed my friend with a word. And if I still wanted to display my resurrection might, I would go to a Pharisee or Saducee and ask them to lead me to a tomb housing a corpse of his relatives. I would pick a corpse which has been in state for years. I’d say a short prayer and ask the dead person to come out to my glory. Don’t you think this would have been a better and incontestable demonstration of his resurrection power?

1 Like

The ultimate end was Jesus’ glory, but the verse right after that is that Jesus loved them. It tells us that Jesus’ suffering and any suffering is ultimately for God’s glory and that He loves us meanwhile and that we don’t always know why. So that means those two things should be present in any story or situation.

If I thought you were God, but I’m 100% sure you’re not.

This is not love, it’s selfishness. If his ultimate aim was to gain glory, there were many ways to do that without letting Lazarus die.

Jesus weeping over Lazarus also does not make sense, when he clearly allowed the man to die for the sake of personal gain. Jesus played a sick joke on them.

That’s not what I asked. Isn’t the scenario I presented a better and incontestable way to get glory from a resurrection miracle, without Lazarus dying?

1 Like

You don’t get to decide that. You’re not God. He is God so will know how He receives the most glory.

Why should receiving glory be a goal for God? Is he that insecure that he needs to prop himself up?

4 Likes

How could God be insecure? That makes no sense. All of us enjoy praise and recognition especially from those that love us or we love - we don’t have to be insecure to do so. Wouldn’t you agree humanity all throughout history assumes God or any god desires praise, adoration, worship and/or recognition?

Some relevant passages:

John 17

Jesus spoke these words, lifted up His eyes to heaven, and said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, 2 as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

Psalm 86

Among the gods there is none like You, O Lord;
Nor are there any works like Your works.
9 All nations whom You have made
Shall come and worship before You, O Lord,
And shall glorify Your name.
10 For You are great, and do wondrous things;
You alone are God.

11 Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
[c]Unite my heart to fear Your name.
12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And I will glorify Your name forevermore.
13 For great is Your mercy toward me,
And You have delivered my soul from the depths of [d]Sheol.

I would, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. Clearly this is another subject you’re unwilling to think about.

4 Likes