The Nastiest Feud in Science

I dunno about that. You are like a dog who can’t let go of a bone with some topics. You have to know this. Right?

One the other hand, you’ve been asking good questions on this thread. I like this side of you better.

That article interprets that differently than you:

The data narrow the fossil gap to just 13 centimeters, the team concludes in its online report today in Biology Letters , meaning that dinosaurs were still alive and kicking pretty much right up until the asteroid struck. “Here we have a specimen that basically goes right up to the boundary, indicating that at least some dinosaurs were doing fine,” Lyson says.

I hold on to the bones that need holding on to and until I see that testable mechanism to account for the transformations required for universal common descent I can’t buy into it given what I know about kinesiology. Your university must have a kinesiology course so I would just ask you to talk to those experts about what is required to get a functioning articulated joint. And if they think rearranging them is possible via changes in genomes.

As for the article, well, you have to read the rest of it:

But Gregory Retallack, a soil scientist at the University of Oregon, Eugene, who had earlier proposed that the gap is due to acid rain dissolving fossils after the asteroid impact, says that the team has not made a strong case. “Sadly, it is only one bone,” Retallack says, adding that the find of a rare fossil 13 centimeters below the K-T boundary could be used in support of both the asteroid impact hypothesis and more gradual extinction scenarios. The reason, Retallack says, is that if gradual extinction had occurred, researchers would expect to find fewer fossils as they got closer to the boundary.

And J. David Archibald, a biologist at San Diego State University in California who thinks that receding inland seas were a key factor in dinosaur extinction, insists that the new paper “is not really news at all”; “finding one fragment of dinosaur [does not] suddenly make this gap go away; … the gap is real.”

1 Like

This is a possibility, for example here (my emphasis)

The last dinosaurs known are from a channel that contains teeth of Mantuan mammals, seven species of dinosaurs, and Paleocene pollen. The top of this channel is 1.3 meters above the likely position of the iridium anomaly, the Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/232/4750/629

Ultimately I don’t think the fossil record is explored enough (or maybe even complete enough) to definitively say there are no dinosaurs above the iridium layer… I think it’s pretty likely that some dinosaurs did indeed die above the iridium layer, but whether we’d expect to find fossils of them is a different story.

2 Likes

You’re spot on. It took a few years for the Iridium to settle. Most of the remains would’ve been gone by then and wouldnt have been covered by the iridium. The K-PG boundary is right down the road from my house. Might go hang out there today.

2 Likes

OK your article is behind a paywall but it is from 1986. My reference is from 2011 and doesn’t even mention yours. That raises a red flag.

@T.j_Runyon Where did the remains go? You said they would be gone

1 Like

That’s why I said “this is a possibility”, because I don’t know the current status of that particular find - whether it is currently accepted or not. Maybe @T.j_Runyon knows?

1 Like

Vast majority of times, remains produce no fossils. Fossilization is a rare event.

1 Like

And that is why “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”. But that leaves people to say that humans lived with dinosaurs but didn’t leave any traces. It also messes up Neil Shubin’s timeline for the alleged appearance of fish-a-pods and tetrapods

PS- I would have expected at least some to get buried by the debris, rubble and tsunamis

ETA- The tsunamis would have buried some populations under feet of sediment skewing the dating process

I see that nobody in that old thread (and why is anyone arguing with Joe G anyway) seems to know about the Signor-Lipps effect, which you probably ought to.

Also, see this.

I do. We covered that pretty early on in my history of life on earth class when talking about extinctions. And thanks for the link