The Problems & Successes of Intelligent Design (w/ Dr. Joshua Swamidass)

But a filter which eliminated the parasite at one point in its lifecycle would eliminate the parasite in all phases of its lifecycle.

But then atovaquone resistance (which involves one mutation) should evolve rarely, too?

Because his books are not rhetorical, they are replete with references, and make arguments in biochemistry.

Behe is a biochemist, not a virologist, for one.

You can see this on a broader scale in fulfilled prophecy, such as ā€œIsrael will always be a nation,ā€ despite attempts to wipe them out (Haman and Hitler, notably) and them being dispersed for 2 millennia. So this could happen in biochemistry, for example, here:

"ā€œIf you will diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give heed to his commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases upon you which I put upon the Egyptians; for I am the Lord your healer.ā€ (Exodus 15:26)

You canā€™t test a ā€œprophecyā€ that extends to ā€œalwaysā€ in a finite amount of time.

Think, man. Think!

Does such a ā€œfilterā€ exist?

Having references, whether they do or do not support the claims being made, does not contradict my characterization of Beheā€™s approach as entirely rhetorical. He doesnā€™t do anything.

No, he goes far afield from biochemistry. Whatā€™s biochemical about his arguments about malaria, precisely?

Thatā€™s a ridiculous excuse for inaction.

Since heā€™s not a virologist, why is he making false claims about virology, specifically HIV, without reading the primary literature (those are the reports of people doing science)? And why do you take him seriously when you know he has no expertise?

And donā€™t motivated, talented scientists often bridge fields and follow the data into new ones? Whatā€™s holding Behe back, Lee? The most obvious explanation is a lack of faith.

2 Likes

As predicted.

But letā€™s go with that. Your initial claim was ā€œI would expect the mutations would be fairly persistent, since the use of chloroquine would have virtually fixed the mutations in the population.ā€

Why would the fact that most parasites have the mutations at one point prevent those mutations from becoming less prevalent due to genetic drift?

OK, so that clarifies exactly what totally wrong thing you were saying.

1 Like

Yes, but the longer the prophecy is true, the less the probability that this is due to chance.

A double-chloroquine would do, a combination of two drugs as effective as chloroquine, says Beheā€™s edge of evolution.

Do you mean run experiments? Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s required, to be able to form a conclusion.

The number of mutations required for chloroquine resistance, for one.

But he does read the primary literature, and he has expertise in biochemistry, which would involve some virology.

I think thatā€™s what Behe has done.

That would depend on the probability distribution. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s a hypothesis. Why isnā€™t Behe testing it? Millions of lives are at stake.

Yes.

I am absolutely certain that it is, because in real science, all conclusions are tentative.

Thatā€™s genetics, not biochemistry. Iā€™m a geneticist, Behe and you are not.

No. For example, the White and Yang papers are secondary literature.

This is an example of the primary literature that falsifies Beheā€™s conclusion:
https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.1322965111

It contains actual data from hands-on experiments, something Behe quit doing >27 years ago. Behe ignores it and you ignore the data in it, looking for some snippet of text you can copy.

What do THE DATA in that paper say, Lee, not the words written by anyone about them?

No, thatā€™s absolutely false. If you disagree, please explain how it would, keeping in mind that my PhD is in virology and I learned (and published) biochemistry in a sabbatical.

I definitely donā€™t, because he isnā€™t producing anything other than pseudoscientific rhetoric aimed at laypeople. To real scientists, his books are laughably bad.

1 Like

Warning: attempting to discuss prophecy with @lee_merrill may end up with you trying to convince him that this is a rebuilt city, not a desolate patch of ground:

1 Like

Well, @lee_merrill is convinced that Beheā€™s books are brilliant science written by a genius. So I guess that puts you in your place, doesnā€™t it? You real scientist you.

2 Likes

On the one hand the prophecy is so vaguely defined as to be basically worthless (when exactly would a ā€œnationā€ cease to exist?), and/or is a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. Like a person who says ā€œIā€™ll never amount to anythingā€ and then never does anything to change their circumstance.

All religions are notorious for inspiring their followers to stick together against outsiders and instilling in them a victim/persecution mentality. Christians are always making a big deal about how others are mocking them(there is no group of people who donā€™t get mocked), as if this is a ā€œprophecyā€.

Of course itā€™s also the case that when a particular group really is persecuted often, as jewish people definitely have been, they develop a strong tendency to stick together and even define themselves by their shared experience of ongoing adversity.

None of this needs a supernatural explanation or constitutes prophecy. Itā€™s just group psychology.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Can Alisa Childers and Randal Rauser be friends?

Well, yes, but just give me the mean per year, and I can still make my statement.

Take an Exponential distribution, say you have waited X years and no event. What is the probability you wait another X years without seeing an event?

Well, itā€™s memoryless, so itā€™s e^(lambda * x), correct?

IC. C what I did there?

Beheā€™s argument has always been that IC1, as you call it, is an argument against Darwinian evolution. I noticed that in your posts on that thread you didnā€™t directly make a claim against IC1. You instead stated that, ā€œNow, Beheā€™s ID hypothesis is that IC1 systems cannot be evolved.ā€ No, thatā€™s never what Behe hypothesized. He hypothesized that IC1 systems cannot have come about by Darwinian evolution.

As for IC2, heā€™s clearly talking about a different thing than in what you call IC1. In IC1, heā€™s talking about irreducibly complex systems. In IC2, heā€™s talking about an evolutionary pathway. Iā€™d have to see more context to understand why he called it an irreducibly complex pathway there, but itā€™s pretty clear heā€™s not talking about the same thing and did not change his argument or definitions.

Yes thatā€™s true in one sense, in terms of what he said. Itā€™s an assertion he makes without actually testing it.

So the charitable reading is that he is ā€œhypothesizingā€ this. If you want to change that to ā€œasserts with out demonstratingā€, I wouldnā€™t object.

Yes, and he is presenting IC2 in response to deficiencies in IC1. Clearly IC1 can evolve if it isnā€™t IC2, which means that even acknowledging that IC1 isnā€™t perfectly contained within IC2 is an acknowledgment that IC1 isnā€™t a reliable argument against evolution.

The context is that he was responding to criticism of IC1 by coming up with a new and more refined definition of IC2. Go look up the article I cite. Itā€™s linked.

So, in fact, he is changing his argument. Thatā€™s the context.

2 Likes

Yep. Simply put, IC1 and IC2 are very different things. IC1-ness is determined by the physical state of a thing today. IC2-ness is determined by a particular mechanism at work in the history of a thing.

Basically, the argument morphed from ā€œa system we can identify based on its extant traits (IC1) was unlikely to evolveā€ into ā€œan extremely low probabilty outcome arising from a specific, singular mechanism was unlikely to occur (IC2)ā€.

Similar, shifting context/ definitions have plagued creationist claims about ā€˜informationā€™. Lee Spetner is a typical and blatant abuser of jumping between incompatible definitions on the fly to suit any particular case.

It was either really stupid (from the standpoint of maintaining clarity of arguments) or very clever (from the standpoint of muddying the waters) to retain the same name ā€œirreducible complexityā€ while referring to at least two very distinct concepts.

4 Likes

Correct, meaning the waiting time does not depend on how long you have already waited. :slight_smile: -)