The Real Story of the Hunt and Meyer Exchange

I think this is a very important point to remember for you all who are at research institutes. The small liberal arts colleges are often more than willing to invite outsiders into their classrooms and small student groups. We love drawing on bigger resources than we can individually supply to our classes. We are, however, often very limited in terms of institutional support, i.e., funds! We also do not necessarily want to step on toes, meaning, if @Art was brought in on money from another department, it is rare that we would try and “borrow” the speaker due to professional courtesy. However, if you reach out to us, as Art did, that changes the dynamic a bit. @swamidass is good on this as well, I couldn’t get him to stop talking to people when he visited my campus :smile:

Moreover, there is often internal tensions at small colleges regarding science/religion issues that may not be representative of the political front put forward by the university in public. For instance, did Biola have any of there own scientists involved in the public discussion regarding Meyer’s book? Why or why not? I imagine that the biologists at Biola are not 100% on board with Meyer’s book. They are trained scientists and can often provide more comfortable insight (to the institution) into the strengths and weaknesses of books such as Meyer’s. I experienced a lovely reading group with my fellow biologist reading Doug Axe’s book and Behe’s Edge of Evolution book. I learned a ton as they took me deeper into the science than I could ever go on my own as we slowly worked through their research. They could also fill in the details of the fudging that tends to happen in popular books that I could only “sniff out” as problematic, but could not necessarily express due to lack of scientific training.

My strategy, and I’m sensing that @swamidass is also coming around to this, has always been to educate the next generation. Taking ID as an example, the battle lines and professional rigidity have been drawn. Can they be broken down, yes. PeacefulScience seems rather helpful in cultivating actual dialogue along these lines. However, the more powerful witness is the next generation of students who observe what is happening and carry it on in their professional work and their own students and so on and so on… I think @Eddie would agree with me on this, but a new bibliography is required for the debate and conversation and that is going to require taking a long game as the bibliography is curated and passed along to our students, friends, and colleagues.

4 Likes