The "Third Way"/EES and Population Genetics

Now that is a totally valid question.

This question is valid too, and your answer help us scope this out:

Well, to be clear, population genetics woudl not be the problem if we got the mutation rate wrong. The problem would be with the mutation rate. We can put the new rate in, and it merely scales the results up or down by some proportion.

But first, let’s clear some underbrush…

That would be odd if he accepts what all of us are saying. Buggs and I disagree with Venema’s work. You can’t agree with all of us simultaneously. Venema wildely overstated the findings of population genetics, and did not even make a sound argument against a bottleneck. So I certainly disagree with his work. Venema’s work is in error, and that became clear in our dialogue on this. Heliocentric Certainty Against a Bottleneck of Two?

So, coming back to your question, how do we know the mutation rates? Keep in mind we only need the average mutation rate over time, so it is okay if their is variability. And we have several independent ways of measuring the average rate, and they all produce approximately the same results:

1. Counting the number of mutation differences between chimpanzees and humans, then dividing by the number of years that separate us.

2. Directly measuring the number of mutations between parents and children, after sequencing triads of mothers and fathers and their children.

3. Measuring the amount ancient DNA from our ancestor’s remains differs from modern humans.

All these methods, and more, produce about the same results. We covered this in the dialogue with Buggs. See here:

And yes bacteria can mutate much quicker. Buggs raised the issue of the Lenski experiments. And agreed with this analysis I offered…

Panel C is important. See how the rate of mutation is a bit higher at first, but then it drops down. Because it is just an initial spike, it just isn’t relevant in the long run. It get’s averaged away by the later lower rates. And these are bacteria too. Mutation rates among humans are much more stable than bacteria. Large mammals have, essentially, a “speed limit” to how many mutations they can endure.

Does that help make sense of this?

3 Likes