Thoughts on discussion strategy

These are great questions, Matt. I just have to say, I’m not sure any answer I give will be palatable to most people here.

First, get rid of the assumption that everyone who disagrees with “me” is either ignorant (doesn’t have enough information), stupid (couldn’t figure it out if they had the information), or a scoundrel (refuses to acknowledge what they know is actually true). Accept that some very bright and well-studied people disagree with you. If you don’t know why, go find out – don’t be like Calvin!

Calvin and Hobbes

Second, ask questions and try to understand more fully where the other person is coming from. Proverbs 18:13 says, “If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame.”

For Young Earth Creationists, there is truly no point in arguing science before you establish with them that the Bible does not require their interpretation.

Honestly, a huge problem is that some people are posting here with a mission to, as you said, “correct misinformation.” If anyone is not here to learn, they are part of the problem, not the solution.

Hope that helps!

OTOH, when it is blatantly obvious that the one disagreeing falls into one or more of those categories, then it is quite justified to consider them ignorant, stupid and/or a scoundrel. And such is the case with every single proponent of ID/creationism. Every single one. No exceptions.

1 Like

[quote=“Marty, post:41, topic:15223”]
For Young Earth Creationists, there is truly no point in arguing science before you establish with them that the Bible does not require their interpretation.[/quote]

That is the nature of religion and no one is denying that the Bible requires any interpretation beyond belief.

[quote=“SlightlyOddGuy, post:38, topic:15223”]
And another question: If you were wrong about something you cared deeply about, what would be the best way someone could reach you through that bias?[/quote]

That reminds me of what the religious claim: “Unbelievers cannot repent without the enabling grace of God.”

Wow @Faizal_Ali. So you plan to be part of the problem here?

I fail to see how being intelligent, informed and honest is the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.