Valerie's interpretation of Genesis 1

I agree it’s renewed creation. :wink:

Thanks! I think I had seen an ICR page about this Psalm but not this one. Re verse 9, I had forgotten the obvious implications that it puts this post-flood. And I think verse 35 is a beautiful reference to the fact that even though God had re-made the world, our hope is still in Christ’s final coming when wickedness will finally end.

One thing I noticed that is really awesome is that these verses are an allusion to resurrection

You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust.
30 You send forth Your Spirit, they are created;
And You renew the face of the earth.

Again, renewed creation through judgment.

I also think again that the author shows evidence of knowing the pre-flood world - of theopanies and angels guarding Eden in the first verses.

Matthew Henry and other commentaries seemed to think that it may be a Psalm of David like Psalm 103. But I think that it’s obviously not the case. I think he was inspired to write his psalm by reading Psalm 104 - the context and historical clue are so different (reference to Leviathian especially, and the covenant and Moses in Psalm 103)

I also noticed the obvious parallels to Psalm 93, which seem to be written during the flood.

The Lord reigns, He is clothed with majesty;
The Lord is clothed,
He has girded Himself with strength.
Surely the world is established, so that it cannot be [a]moved.

Psalm 104

O Lord my God, You are very great:
You are clothed with honor and majesty,
2 Who cover Yourself with light as with a garment,
Who stretch out the heavens like a curtain.

You who [b]laid the foundations of the earth,
So that it should not be moved forever,

I imagine the flood felt like the world would be torn apart, but the writer is expressing His confidence in God who created the earth. From my POV, they are the same writer. There’s too much similarity.