Welcome to Terrell Clemmons: Questions on Methodological Naturalism

I wasn’t talking about the use of physical force. I was talking about laying down epistemological rules regarding design inferences, declaring them to be in principle outside of the realm of science. It’s a fact that many TE/EC leaders have made pronouncements like that.

Obviously they can’t force ID folks to go along, but they use such pronouncements to try to steer evangelicals away from ID, and I’m simply challenging such pronouncements. The average evangelical in the churches, reading a statement by Francis Collins or Darrel Falk of Kathryn Applegate, may assume that, simply because these people have Ph.D.s in a natural science and are evangelicals, they are experts on the epistemology of science, on demarcation questions, etc. But in fact there is nothing in the training of Collins, Falk, Applegate, etc. that prepares them to deal in proper scholarly fashion with such subtle questions.

Anyhow, this isn’t your fight. You’ve said you make no a priori exclusion of design inferences from natural science, so you’re not my target here.

1 Like