What are the fundamentals of Genetic Entropy?

Do you understand yet why Sanford’s idea is wrong?

You mentioned that this is accurate “to the best of your knowledge” yet I already showed you that the paper you are citing found something quite different:

On top of that, genomes like those in humans are mostly junk. About 10% of the human genome shows evidence of function. That means the bulk of the mutations occurring in the other 90% are neutral. Most mutations are neutral in the human genome.

What Sanford need to show is that these mutations have such a large effect that they prevent reproduction or survival.

One of the big assumptions that Sanford makes is treating all slightly deleterious mutations the same. Obviously, this can’t be the case. If that one additional mutation results in sterility or death then that is not a slightly deleterious mutation. It will be strongly selected against. On top of that, if we can’t see a statistically significant difference between populations with a given mutation and populations with a mutation, then how in the world is this going to lead to the extinction of the species?

2 Likes

I did bother to read through that paper, and you are misrepresenting their findings. Their conclusion went along with the statement I quoted, not against it. I am not quote-mining.

@Rumraket You asked me to show you who was saying this, and here you go. Here’s just one example.

You have it exactly backwards. It is the fact that they do NOT prevent reproduction or survival that makes them so dangerous to begin with.

1 Like

I would be interested in any quotation where the clearly state that deleterious mutations outnumbered neutral ones. The best I can find is them lumping neutral and deleterious mutations together:

Then why does Sanford claim that GE will lead to extinction?

That gives away the game. We know from Kimura that most neutral mutations are deleterious (he didn’t even bother trying to graph beneficial neutrals, and only speculated as to their frequency). And we also know (and I quoted) that there are no truly (or as Kimura would say, ‘strictly’) neutral mutations.

If Kimura says that most mutations are neutral, then how can he also be saying that they are not neutral but deleterious. You seemed to have confused yourself.

Let’s say we have 100 mutations. 90 of them are neutral, 7 are deleterious, and 3 are beneficial. It would be accurate to say that most mutations are either neutral or deleterious. Do you agree?

Read Kimura’s paper where he clearly enunciates a difference between ‘strictly neutral’ and ‘effectively neutral’. You’re missing the distinction. There are no strictly neutral mutations.

It would be accurate to say that most mutations are either neutral or deleterious. Do you agree?

Neutral mutations is an oxymoron. Every mutation has an effect.

If they are effectively neutral then they can’t cause sterility or death, by definition.

Yes, and one little speck of rust will not cause you to need to go buy a new car.

The last piece of rust that interrupts vital function will be selected against and is not effectively neutral. It is deleterious and is selectable. That’s the problem with Sanford’s thesis. You don’t need to be perfect to be a successful species.

Of course. But by then your whole population is mostly rusted out. You can’t select away the whole population. Mutations are only selected for or against individually. You can’t just start over with a new genome. If we could then genetic entropy would not be an issue.

Apparently, being mostly rusted out has worked for 3.5 billion years.

But you can remove deleterious mutations as they arise, especially those that prevent reproduction or are lethal.

Sanford’s explanation for why GE has allowed life to exist on the Earth for over 3.5 billion years is…?

Or maybe that assumption of yours is incorrect. This evidence says it is.

But you can remove deleterious mutations as they arise

Everything I’ve just showed you here says you can’t. Most mutations are too small to be selected out.

It isn’t an assumption. It is a conclusion drawn from mountains of evidence in the field of geology.

Then I would suggest that you go to my thread on pocket mice where this is demonstrated in living populations.

It’s even demonstrated in the H1N1 data where the number of fixed mutations is well below the rate at which mutations occur.

3 Likes

You’ve shown zero evidence you understand this critical point. What about the concept is so difficult?

The next question we have to ask is the ratio of slightly beneficial to slightly deleterious neutral mutations. These would be effectively neutral mutations, so we wouldn’t be able to detect whether they are slightly deleterious or slightly beneficial using population demographics. So how do we determine what this ratio is? How did Sanford determine this ratio?

If the tiny effects we are talking about have to do with the number of bases in a genome, then a genome with a stable number of bases where deletions are balanced by insertions would have no net change in fitness. This appears to be the case for our branch of the primate tree, with the gibbon, orangutan, gorilla, and human genomes having nearly the same base count over 10’s of millions of years.

If Sanford really wants to make these grand claims, then we need evidence for the distribution of effects caused by effectively neutral mutations, and I have yet to see it.

1 Like