What does the BGV theorem say?

Not sure directly observed or indirectly observed would be so necessary to distinguish. I guess I kind of slipped that term in there in my explanation in my previous comment kind of unknowingly. I would say, however, another distinction could be made between unaided observation and instrumentally aided observation.

The former would generally be the more reliable, and the latter would have degrees of reliability depending on the type of instrumentation and how well it can be objectively confirmed. There should also be a distinction with detection methods as well regarding degrees of reliability.

OK. But my first question is, what is meant by direct inference? Would the meaning of a direct inference include an objectively confirmed unaided empirical observation as being a direct inference? Next, has any objectively confirmed unaided observation ever been overturned? And if so by what was it overturned? And certainly it seems in making a probability judgment an unaided objectively confirmed observation would be higher than a subjective inference.

And then in relation I would imagine the scale would go down for objectively confirmed instrumental observations relative to the degree of decreased reliability of the instrumentation. Detection would be similar although more limited in what is revealed by it than the latter.

And as for classical mechanics, it’s not clear to me whether or not you’re including GTR and STR here. You seemed to be including them in one of your previous comments. If you don’t include them, then as I understand it, there were only certain specific aspect of CM that needed to be changed. The rest still stands. Is that correct?

If so, I might somewhat agree with your point here with some qualification. However, as I mentioned in a previous comment, I’m mainly interested in empirical scientific facts, not so much objectively confirmed abstract theories and formulas.

Is it possible to make the case of a beginning without the BGV? Well, I would say it would be a significantly weaker argument. But speaking as a layperson, I think I still have to beg to differ with your assessment of BGV.

From what I’ve seen I think that it is sufficiently strong enough to be included. I think we disagree on certain subjective aspects in regards to how strong it is which, based on evidence and other factors presented to me, I believe I’m warranted to take an alternative position on. I think if you factor my position on those subjective aspects into it, there’s enough reason to rate it’s strength as at least sufficient, if not more than.

And since Bayesian inference, like all other inferences, is subjective in nature, I don’t see any problem coming to different conclusions based on the subjective aspects involved in each of our positions. And I think that since other scientists and scholars seem to differ with your assessment as well, it seems I’m at least be within the bounds of reason.

Well, I think what he was talking about is a model that can account for both being past eternal and evolving 13.8 billion years ago. That’s quite different than one that does only one or the other.

Again, I don’t think this is what’s being claimed by Craig. I think what he’s saying is, if quantum indeterminacy is assumed and going only by what is known in the objective sense at present, including the age of the universe, under those circumstances the only way a quantum regime could be without a beginning is if it did nothing from eternity past until 13.8 billion years ago, at which time it evolved into the universe.

So what he seems to be saying is, a quantum regime model would need to be formulated based on both of those conditions being met, i.e., past eternal doing nothing, and suddenly, at the initial physical event 13.8 b years ago, go from doing nothing to evolving into the universe. In his estimation, that would seem to be the only option available.