What is "Reconciliation"? What is "Peace"?

Communication
Society

(Ann Gauger) #41

I have a pair. Yes, they are incredible. But some of the music I want to listen to isn’t available on streaming services or iTunes. Medieval stuff, opera sung by specific singers, etc. It’s annoying that Bose didn’t design in a way to play CDs, like a computer can with an external drive. Believe me, I tried. I tried linking the CD to my computer and playing through iTunes. No way. I even copied one CD to my computer’s hard drive. It shows up in iTunes, but is not recognized by Bose???

Ok, to return to the theme:

If we throw out all the old, we lose things we may never recover, and regret. I am not suggesting keeping everything, but some things are definitely worth keeping.

We need to hold fast to what is good, in both science andfaith, and find pathways toward community. Only on this base can we hope to deal other our differences peacefully.

This will be impossible for those who want nothing to do with religion. Hence my suggestion that we start with general areas of agreement.

(Retired Professor & Minister.) #42

When I first saw mention of Peaceful Science, it was linked to the PS forum. I simply assumed that the name referred to “peaceful dialogue about science topics”, and once I perused the forum, I decided that the term was quite descriptive and appropriate while also being aspirational. Yet, it is apparent that many people have assumed other denotations and connotations for the title. I find that very interesting. I suppose we should always expect diverse reactions to new combinations of common words.

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #43

We tend to keep old things, thought, emotions. Sure we learn from the past, but it mostly biases us in the present. We tend to make the same moves over and over again. If we can view the present moment as really a new moment in time, we can use all our knowledge, all our previous experiences to make a informed decision on how to proceed. Here’s where I think we can agree: We can live today with our experiences of the past and our knowledge of what’s true right now, and we can take action to go forward with as little biases as possible.

(Ann Gauger) #44

Wise words. We can learn from the past but we are not obliged to live it again.

Now here’s a relevant question. You are in no way obliged to answer. Did you ever believe in God? What caused you to give up that faith?

When I was in 9th grade I prayed asking God to reveal himself to me. I expected a dream or something like that. Nothing happened so I shrugged my shoulders and said, “I guess he doesn’t exist!”

A couple of years passed by. We moved to Kansas. I had always been horse crazy so for my 16th birthday my parents got me a horse. That summer I spent days on end riding in the hills, which were wild grassland without human habitation. I came to love what I saw—the way everything had a place, a role to play, a purpose and so much of it was beautiful. I came to the conclusion that God must be real, because order, purpose and beauty don’t come from chaos.

The rest came later. My point of view on evolution was not challenged in college—I actually had no point of view all the way through graduate school.

It wasn’t until my kids were in school that I began to rethink my earlier thoughts. My thoughts about randomness vs order, ,purpose, and beauty returned. I discovered ID had happened while I was raising my children. I was living in Seattle at the time, and the rest you know.

I tell the story so that you will know from what past I come. If you want to tell your story I would be glad to listen. Maybe it will lead to better understanding between us and perhaps other people.

(Guy Coe) #45

A beautiful story of your non-chaotic path to (rediscovering? finding?) God, @Agauger .

(Dr. Patrick Trischitta) #46

Perhaps I believed in God, Jesus, and Mary in a very childish way. God the Father was an old guy in Heaven, Jesus was a nice guy, also in heaven seated at his right hand which as a kid thought that was funny. Mary was like my Aunt Pauline, a nice motherly person for all the kids in the neighborhood but without kids herself. Was taught all the Catholicism and knew every rule, doctrine and dogma by heart (a smart kid -who would ask it you were on a ship on a Sunday and crossed the international dateline, did you have to go to Mass). By 8th grade I was certain it was all BS, but I would not dare tell anyone this. I played along as it was very harmless.

I was a Catholic Atheist for 40 years. It was easy to be a Catholic Atheist. Then 911 happened and religion was not harmless and more it was evil. I became an outspoken out of the closet atheist.

As for your story, your faith is what you are. It helps you. I makes you the person that you are. I see nothing wrong with that. Living your life the way you want to. The main problem I have is when one person want to tell another person how to live based on another person’s faith. That is were I jump in and say “leave them alone”.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #47

(system) #48