What is Scientific Reputation?

I watched you in the Biologos food fight with Buggs and Venema. I checked you out the way I would check out any scientist/professor/researcher. You were going to get hammered by your scientific peers and quite possible by your university if you become an embarrassment to your profession, your research funders or your university. But you didn’t, to your credit you never crossed the neutral science line. You never left MN. You getting thrown aside by Biologos was seen as a positive. You remained a working scientist operating under MN. And your peers, your university and your possible sponsors recognized this. Regarding neutral theory and genealogical science, I learned this here at PS and thank you for that. Regarding your work as a scientist who happens to be Christian, I and several atheist groups see you as a secular humanist and a universal human rights proponent who happens to be Christian. Your commitment to diversity, tolerance, justice for all comes through your work here. One thing I did check out was the church that you belong to in the local St. Louis area. It is not the most diverse church in the area. They are semi-accepting of you. Sit in the back at church so that you can see what is in front of you. I now think that your greatest push back for your work at PS is going to come from “your fellow Christians”. Your not the “same kind of Christian as them” That might be a problem for white fundamentalist Christians. We, secular humanists, consider you one of us now and look forward to working with you on racial issues which I know you feel strongly about.

3 Likes