Why are We Disagreeing with ID?

But this was verified, as have the descriptions people gave of the attempts to resuscitate them while they were out. Not all scientific evidence is taken with a thermometer.

It hasn’t been scientifically verified. What are you even talking about?

3 Likes

Perhaps your belief is a misinterpretation of your experience.

I would prefer not to argue about the incoherence of libertarian free will. Perhaps someone else would like to take it up with you, but I think it would be futile.

2 Likes

Like I say, fallacy of composition.

Hydrogen is waterless.

Oxygen is waterless.

Waterlessness cannot produce water.

Therefore, hydrogen and oxygen cannot produce water.

Agree?

Where?

Which only means they made lucky guesses (We all know what is likely to happen during a resuscitation by watching ER and other medical TV shows) or they were still able to perceive things while apparently unconscious. Your use of the term “flat line” is deceptive. Everyone who was resuscitated had brain activity throughout the procedure, because if someone has no brain activity, they are permanently dead and cannot be resuscitated.

2 Likes

Premise 1: I think your sense of identity and control is an artifact of your thoughts.
Premise 2: You think that I am wrong, and it is my thoughts that are untrustworthy.
Premise 3: Mindless atoms produce can produce all sorts of conflicting reasoning.
Conclusion: Whatever controls thoughts, it cannot be very reliable.

2 Likes

What we are observing is proteins that are not evolving in the classic sense as the variation over long time periods is very small. They are essentially held the same form for 50 million generations.

We need to ask the question if evolutionary theory explains the origin of genes that are not changing over long periods of time. These genes appear to have very high levels of functional information. Many also first appeared in vertebrates.

How does Lynch change his model and still avoid prohibitively long waiting times for a 2 AA adaption?

So you’re looking at highly-conserved genes. That really doesn’t seem relevant. They certainly can’t be used to set a limit on the rate of evolution.

This question makes no sense. If you are talking about highly conserved genes where a “2AA” change would not be adaptive then why would Lynch need to avoid “prohibitively long waiting times”?

4 Likes

That’s right, folks. Bill still does not understand the concept of conservation.

But keep trying!

4 Likes

Thanks. Now the problem is premise3. Why can’t atoms be trusted to produce reliable reasoning? It seems to me that in fact certain material structures made of mindless atoms are incredibly reliable. So reliable in fact that we use them to aid or even correct our own reasoning. My calculator never misbehaves, gets tired, or drunk, or angry, or exhausted. Contrary to people, fed the exact same huge calculation it will reliably produce the exact same result every time.
So, what is it about mindless atoms that means they can’t be trusted to produce reliable reasoning?

5 Likes

How do you show new proteins are the product of evolution is the evidence shows so little variance?

If genes are this mutation sensitive then you need a gene duplication prior to the gene exploring different sequences. The waiting differences depend on this issue. This is Behe’s thesis and the data supports it for vertebrates. Lynch’s hypothesis of neutral mutations or equal substitutability of amino acids is not viable.

Incorrect.

Behe’s thesis is that it is possible to make up a completely imaginary model that, if it were true, evolution would not be possible.

He supported his thesis by making up a completely imaginary model that, if true, would make evolution impossible.

Good for him.

4 Likes

An answer to that question might be that the calculator is only reliable because its atoms were deliberately arranged by a human being. And the brain of a human being is only able to create a calculator because its atoms were deliberately arranged by God.

Which is all well and good, but it still does not address the question of why atoms arranged by the evolutionary process could not also result in a brain that could produce a reliable calculator.

4 Likes

Looking at newer proteins would be a good start.

1 Like

If the evidence showed very little variance then that little variance is all you’d have to account for. It’s question begging to look at examples where change hasn’t occurred and then dismiss examples where more change exes to have occurred.

But they aren’t all that sensitive, are they? And you’d only need gene duplication if the advantageous variations were inaccessible to other paths. What’s the evidence that there are beneficial variations to these highly conserved genes that can be reached only through duplication? Isn’t the conservation evidence suggesting that the gene is at or very near to an adaptive peak? And if that’s the case, then the argument is useless.
The more so since duplication and variation is more associated with new functions than improving the existing function anyway.

5 Likes

If genes are this sensitive, then how is it that species are so different from each other while sharing the same genes?

Multiple adaptations can be evolving in parallel.

What data?

3 Likes

You do what they did here:

Which I also expounded on at length here and which you never responded to:

And your crap about duplications and more about that yeast de novo gene paper and how to show they evolved here:

Your endlessly recycling questions and arguments have been answered by pretty much everyone around here probably a hundred times by now.

2 Likes

Here is uniprot and you just need to look at proteins between mouse and rats and you can try and find examples where there are more then a few mutations. I have yet to find more then a few.

https://www.uniprot.org/align/A202205275BF3C56A578D7D6DFD1FC81EE5DA7730020699P

The evidence says they are and this is why Behe has the right model for vertebrates.

At Ensembl, I am counting 416 missense mutations (i.e. changes in amino acid sequence) for the MMP3 gene within the human population.

https://uswest.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Variation_Gene/Table?db=core;g=ENSG00000149968;r=11:102835801-102843609

What evidence?

3 Likes

Ther are more than 86,000 mouse proteins, so I suspect that your sampling is inadequate to come to a strong conclusion.

Well, no even if that was correct it wouldn’t say anything about the accuracy of Behe’s model. You need to look at the genes that are evolving not those that aren’t.

2 Likes

Why would you only look at consensus sequences? Why wouldn’t you look at variation within species?

Why do you think I keep bringing up MYH7?

3 Likes