Why are We Disagreeing with ID?

How is a flagellum without flagellin a translocase, though? What does it transport, and how is that beneficial to the cell?

first, you involve horse now, which is by itself a complex motion system. in addition, i think that we can consider a working engine by itself as a type of a motion system (it might move the object a bit because of its vibration). so we start here with a motion system in first place.

electric organs in fish for instance?

what will move the flagellin?

The rest of the flagellum.

You didn’t present it as a “reasonable conclusion.” You presented it as a stone-cold fact:

You have no idea how many are known. You made it up. That’s bearing false witness.

Noted. How does that make your point?

But you pretend to know how much is known, when you clearly have never bothered to look. It’s your job alone to know the things you claim to know, not anyone else’s.

Why do you think the Ninth Commandment is phrased as bearing false witness?

Remember when you made the false claim that antibody binding sites weren’t new? Why did you abandon that for pasting Behe’s ridiculous handwaving?

1 Like

They’re homologous to other bacterial proteins.

It’s completely irrelevant to your point, as it is an entirely new point. And I have no interest in discussing the new point until we’ve finished with the old one. If you want to admit that your original argument can be dismissed as worthless, we can move on to your new (also unsupported) argument.

No, it isn’t. It’s possible that it would be non-functional AS A FLAGELLUM, but that irrelevant.

3 Likes

Did you even read any literature on that? MotA and MotB are homologues, and they in turn are homologous to proteins found in other protein transport systems.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0966842X05000545

Motor

MotA forms the proton or sodium channel and consists of a MotA_ExbB domain (PFAM PF01618), which is shared with proteins from other protein export systems, such as the TonB complex.

3 Likes

Because that’s what the rest of the flagellum does, transport proteins through it. It’s necessarily a protein export system because that very job is required to assemble the flagellum. All stages basal to the flagellum would have to involve protein translocation because anything constructed outside the membrane has to pass through the Type-3 transport apperatus.

I think you should read the links provided earlier.

3 Likes

I’m not including a horse. A carriage with no horses does not have a motion system.

You can pretend that a pump-engine is a motion system all you want to, but I see no reason to follow you into those depths of desperation.

2 Likes

I note that you carefully avoided the two examples that I gave of convergent evolution that don’t require a new organ. Just as you carefully avoided my main point:

You appear to be ‘whistling past the graveyard’ here.

3 Likes

Yet the scientific method literally exists because our intuition (clearly all you’re using here) is often wrong. That’s why we are far less arrogant than you and view our conclusions as hypotheses that are tentative and require empirical testing.

That’s why Behe is arrogant–he doesn’t test his hypotheses.

It translocates proteins, even without flagellin. Are you interested enough to look into this for yourself?

2 Likes

how exactly? if you add a single part to a non spining system it will start to spin?

Who said it weren’t spinning already?

if its already been able to spin then its already a motion system in the first place. so this isnt an example of geting a motion system from non motion system by a single step.

I trust people who have looked, such as Behe.

Yes, that’s saying something you know is false, whereas I have several reasons to believe the claim of only a few interaction is true.

I’m willing to be corrected…

It does not impart motility to the bacterium since the structure lacks the propeller(flagellin is the long “tail” part of the flagellum), so it isn’t a motility system. The fact that the central structure can still spin doesn’t make it a motility system. The fan blowing on my CPU isn’t making my pc travel around in my apartment.

2 Likes

How can something be a binding site without something to bind to it?

2 Likes

Yes, so how many changes would be needed to get to MOTB, for instance?

Are you proposing that a partially-assembled flagellum has function? All along the way?

Well, it seems transport is needed (as you said) for constructing a flagellum, but we need selectable functionality along the way.

What’s the evidence against neutral evolution?

1 Like

Behe admitted under oath that he hadn’t bothered to look either. I’m a person who has looked much more, and have much more relevant expertise and experience, than both of you combined. So why don’t you trust me?

No, that’s making a claim with certainty when you are not certain. You are claiming to be a witness to something you can’t be bothered to witness–the evidence.

You also have no reason to believe that your claim is true. Wishing it to be true is not enough. Hearsay is not enough.

Have you witnessed any evidence that would support it?

3 Likes