Why were Adam and Eve cast out of Eden?

None of that bears the slightest relevance to what I said. Do you agree that God knows good and evil, and that by eating from the tree of knowledge Adam and Eve became like God in that respect?

Yes it was relevant.

But as to your question. Yes, they became gods unto themselves, in their own way “knowing” what is good and what is evil.

That also made them evil as only God is good and can be the only standard of good, not themselves.

You’re making up a story that isn’t there.

1 Like

To answer your question, here’s an analogy:
If I drew my child a heart, what does that mean and how does the child know?

So could I. That’s why it’s worth believing in Jesus no matter whether it costs me everything or not.

Well, I don’t think she made it up herself.

2 Likes

This entire discourse leads me to think that either you accept a literal reading and struggle with these sorts of issues or that you embrace the idea that the bible’s interpretation strategy and doctrine has to be nearly or as important as the words itself (i.e. it is not a straightforward read).

2 Likes

But apparently not completely - Adam and Eve didn’t become all-knowing (at least, there’s no indication of that in the story) - they simply gained some measure of knowledge. It wouldn’t be discordant with that for the Tree of Life to grant a partial effect as well.

It may be worth noting that the Tree of Life in Revelation (a book saturated with references to the OT, so it could very well reflect the Genesis Tree of Life was thought of in the first century AD) is said to bear fruit continuously, on a monthly basis, and it is said that its leaves are for “the healing of the nations”. Now, that certainly isn’t inconsistent with a “eat it once, permanently gain eternal life” function, but to me it suggests that it is meant to be eaten on a continual basis.

All of this quibbling over how the Tree of Life worked is probably missing the point, however, since (as @deuteroKJ mentioned) themes throughout the Pentateuch and the rest of Scripture make it plausible that the tree symbolized access to God’s presence and thus to the source of all life himself.

4 Likes

The book of Revelation was written many centuries after Genesis, so is not pertinent to what I am discussing.

The author of Revelation was a reader of Genesis in a culture nearly 2000 years closer to that of the author of Genesis (and far more directly related to it) than ours. I’d say it is at least as pertinent as anything we come up with just reading the English translation with a host of background assumptions which may be alien to author of Genesis.

2 Likes

I agree.

But not nearly as pertinent as a reading that avoids all such assumptions.

Is your view that one cannot know anything, unless one has exhausted every other possibility under the sun?

Is it even possible to read a text without any background assumptions? Background assumptions are what determine meaning in the first place. To even understand what the word “God” means you need to bring in some background assumptions.

1 Like

Thank you for that, I haven’t been able to explain that concept appropriately…also in regard to the conversation of whether God or the devil lied in those passages, this is a good point. Man did not become “fully” like God, but became “more” like God.

Thank you for this also.

No, that is not my view. I can’t really see how that question would arise from what I wrote, which was merely a reference to the likelihood that the story of Adam and Eve is based on a very ancient myth that predates Judaism.

I don’t see how. There is this character named “God” (or whatever, based on the translation), who does some stuff in the story. We can understand his actions solely in the context of what is described in the story, with no other extraneous information or assumptions.

Or we can attribute all sorts of traits to him like benevolence, omnipotence, omniscience, etc. which are not mentioned in the story at all. But then we are not reading the story on its own terms, but are just freighting in our own assumptions.

2 Likes

But what does the text mean when it labels a character with the name “The LORD God” (יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהִ֗ים)? To properly translate that you need to understand what those words signify and mean. You can’t just assume “The LORD God” is some interchangeable human character name like Tom, Dick or Harry. “The LORD God” already implies some sort of title and position in the world of the story.

Furthermore, even if we’re just sticking to the context of Gen. 2-3, clearly this character named “The LORD God” is not just like any other human being. In fact, he is responsible for creating human beings in the first place. I don’t know if that automatically confers benevolence and omnipotence and everything, but it clearly makes him different in crucial attributes from Adam and Eve, for example.

2 Likes

Of course, he is not just another human with the same status as Adam and Eve. He created Adam and Eve, and obviously considers himself the Boss of Eden and everyone there has to do what he says. That’s all in the story.

Like you say, that does not “confer benevolence and omnipotence and everything.”

1 Like

So given his powers and status as the creator of “the earth and heavens” (likely a Hebrew merism indicating “everything that exists”) including human beings, and being able to cause rain to fall down, does it make even sense to assume that he would ever feel “threatened” by human beings?

Secondly, you haven’t answered my first point, about the meaning of the term “LORD God”. Clearly if you want to understand this term properly, you have to understand the connotations that come with that term, which means studying the occurrences of that term in the entire book of Genesis at least, or better, the whole Pentateuch.

My point is that there is no “reading the story in its own terms” without consulting other sources of Hebrew literature, for these provide the context and meaning of the words used. The translators of the text into English no doubt also took these into account.

Sure, why not? Do you think powerful rulers are never afraid of those they rule over? Was Victor Frankenstein not afraid of the being he had brought to life?

In case it is not already clear, I am not convinced that this is not a story that existed long before the creation at least some of other books of the Pentateuch, and may very well belong to a religious tradition that far predates Judaism. The version that has come down to us still bears signs of the original story, including its depiction of a god still subject to human frailties and flaws, as is common in most other mythologies outside of JudeoChristianIslam.

2 Likes

Well, Victor Frankenstein didn’t create everything in the universe, for once. He was a limited human being who only took some pre-existing materials and manipulated its properties and powers to create something else, which he lost control over because the materials he was working had powers that he couldn’t fully control. But here, we have the LORD God of the universe, creator of heaven and earth (= everything), who obviously had the power to destroy humans if he wanted to after they disobeyed. Why did he not do that, given that he was perfectly able to kick them out of the Garden? Are you suggesting that the LORD God was powerless to kill or subjugate the human beings that he just created, if they were indeed threatening?

Furthermore, if the LORD God had to lie to prevent humans from eating from the Tree of Knowledge of Good of Evil or the Tree of Life, why did he even bother putting the trees there in the first place? Your interpretation is incomplete, because it only talks about the events after the Fall, and nothing about why the LORD God created humans and the Garden and what his plan for this whole arrangement was.

First, if your goals are to distill some previous version of the story, then you actually need to do comparative work with neighboring ANE creation myths, as well as comparison with other features of the Hebrew worldview, so that you can identify which elements are likely to have been adapted from the Hebrew worldview, and which are in common with their neighbors (or forerunners). Simply “analyzing the story on its own terms” doesn’t work, because the version of the story as it is presented in the KJV (or ESV, NIV or any other translation) is the Hebrew version. Many of the terms in the story (such as יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהִ֗ים, as well as the Tree of Life) are definitely Hebrew-specific terms and don’t make much sense apart from that context.

Second, why do you think distilling this older version of the story is important or significant? What point does it prove? After all, Jews and Christians regard this version of the story in Genesis as divinely inspired, not any pre-existing material which the author adopted to write the story as we receive it today.

1 Like

Good questions. If the character of “God” in Genesis 2-3 was in fact the same god that Christians believe in, his actions and behaviour seem quite out of character.

That just further supports my claim that they are not the same person at all.

The story does not have much to say about that. Maybe there were other stories that filled in those details which have been lost to us.

I’d be very interested in knowing more about what kind of research has been done in this regard. But even from my position as a layperson, I can identify elements that clearly are not consistent with the usual Christian interpretation of this story.

That by itself would be a significant challenge to those who consider this, not just a “divinely inspired” story, but a literal historical record of things that actually happened. Such people actually exist, you may be surprised to know. :wink:

1 Like