500kg Elephant Birds Revolutionize Our Understanding Madagascar

Analysis of bones, from what was once the world’s largest bird, has revealed that humans arrived on the tropical island of Madagascar more than 6,000 years earlier than previously thought – according to a study published today, 12 September 2018, in the journal Science Advances .

1 Like

Terror birds are under appreciate. They are like T-Rexes, but lived alongside humans.

1 Like

Although, I should be clear, elephant birds a bit less impressive, more like a large ostrich. The elphant bird is the purple one in the middle.

2 Likes

Well, they’re like T. rex to the extent that they’re terrestrial predators, but they weren’t nearly as big as elephant birds, much less any large theropods. And they lived alongside humans for at most a few thousand years, and the evidence even for that is dubious. Barring the dubious bit, they were extinct long before H. sapiens existed, and even longer before we got to the New World.

1 Like

This is a great thread. this island matters to YEC thinkers for many reasons.
The birds were mentioned by marco Polo although by reputation. probably it was just the egg shells found, as they still are, and already the birds were extinct. i think the indian people who migrated there wiped them out quick and possible less then 2000 years.
Terror birds are a type found in the fossils in south america. I never read these birds were under that title.
you mention t-rex.
I suspect the dinosaur rapter types were just giant flightless birds. not reptiles or dinos.
So very possible t-rex is just a big bird with teeth and claws. jUst a spectrum of big birds.
another point is that these isolated areas were the ones to grow the flightless birds big.
Moas etc.So this equation in biology was also happening before the flood…
i don’t think there wa in gods creation a dinosaur division. Just misidentification by looking merely at bones in the 1800-s.
Many birds got BIGGER on hundreds of pacific islands. though not giants.

I don’t agree with this 4000 year thing or this island colonized before the Indian people went there.
its once again this crazy dating ideas they have.
Anyways its very interesting to hear about the cool elephant birds.