A New Deal for Intelligent Design?

Science

@Agauger
@pnelson

What is Sternberg doing these days anyway? I haven’t seen anything from him for years other than his stuff on population genetics and whale evolution. It would be cool to see what a book from him would look like.

(Paul A Nelson) #129

Rick teaches in the DI natural sciences summer seminar (his lectures are among the most popular in the course), travels to universities to speak – most recently, to South America – but mostly, he is working on a massive book laying out a radical new view of genetics. The new view is so radical, in fact, that several of the DI fellows find it uncomfortable. But that is Rick’s story to tell, which he will, in due time.

My approach is fluid because the theory is massive and very fluid. How do you sum up a theory that is spread over hundreds of thousands of primary papers with more papers being published right now?

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #131

I’ll look forward to reading it. I was impressed by how far outside my expectations Sternberg was in how he understood DNA. His views are radical.

The size of the book is worrying, but I am always entertained by radical new views of genetics, even if they turn out to be wrong.

(John Harshman) #133

For those of who haven’t looked at this, could you summarize his views?

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #134

He takes essentially a hyperfunctional view of DNA, even farther than anyone would think to take it. In that way he is legitimately redefining the range to extend far beyond the pan-adaptationalists. ID in general is biased against neutral features of DNA, but Sternberg pushes it farther than I thought anyone would think possible.

(George) #135

@swamidass

What is an example of pushing DNA to “this extreme”? I really have no idea how you mean this without an example.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) #136

I’d let Sternberg make his own case. Honestly I don’t understand the logic behind it. He is writing a book, so let’s see how that shapes up and take about it then.

(S. Joshua Swamidass) unpinned #137