A spectacular optical illusion

. . . which I am using to introduce a new hermeneutics series on Zoom:

It is interesting in its own right—though I am using it to illustrate how our fallible observations and intuitions concerning language and life experiences can blind us when interpreting an ancient text.

8 Likes

Anybody else a little peeved they cant force their brain to see it? I know I am.

5 Likes

I do wish that the video could include rising and falling “crane shots” so that the brain would suddenly “toggle” the optical illusion perception once a particular vertical angle is reached.

3 Likes

I remember beginning to watch this video months ago and I was so annoyed I didn’t finish it. :rofl:

1 Like

Why would you find it annoying and not fascinating?

2 Likes

That’s part of the illusion - you think you are annoyed but really you are fascinated! :wink:

4 Likes

I do find it fascinating, but I think I also see it as an insurmountable shortcoming, and I guess I take that pretty personally! Curse you, primate brain! Hmmm… I wonder if there’s a way to test this on other animals.

I can see the rotation in the OP.

A similar themed illusion I can’t get my head around is this one; it is supposed the higher order brain processing makes one unable to see past the illusion

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.