A Spirited and Eclectic Discussion on Evolution and the Bible

@John_Harshman…there is fossil record of carnivorous activity prior to 4000 BC, correct? I think if the church fathers had that information they would not claim that verse to be about Genesis. Genesis 1:30 does not mean that all animals ate plants for food, it means that God provides the basis nutrients for all living creatures…which to me is a reference to God being light and He provided photosynthesis for the beginning of nutrients required for all life. God provides for the greenery, which provides for all life…I know there is science that backs that up, but I am not the expert for that.

That depends on whether you think the fossil record is a result of the Flood. If you’re a YEC, there is no fossil record of anything prior to 4004 BC. And you really shouldn’t overthink the bible’s connection to science.

And it is at this juncture that you demonstrate you have made your choice that Scripture must give way to the weight of science and that Bible revision is justified whenever deemed appropriate to suit your evolutionary paradigm.

We have fossils of trilobite with bite marks taken out of them which date back over 500 MY. The suspected predator is thought to be the Cambrian aged Anomalocaris

Trilobites: Pathology: Bites, Injuries & Healing

1 Like

No, it is at this point that I declare emphatically that I am not stupid, that I have reason, can employ logic and that I am capable of finding truth in science as well as truth in scripture. Your repeated jabs carry no weight, stop. I have dedicated my life to following Jesus, I quit my job and live in a bible college to study the word 24/7. You cannot question my faith, you have no authority to do so. Stop trying.

1 Like

You have made your choice, but remember that when you make any theological claim, we have every right to understand, first, that you are making it through the filter of your chosen paradigm. Because of that, we are completely justified in a biblical sense to question anything and everything you say. You cannot take that privilege away from the YEC Christian. And we are literally “out there everywhere”.

My apologies to OEC’s who are not evolutionists - I forgot to mention you. There are millions of Christians all over the planet who do not subscribe to evolution, not just YECs.

Amen to that…way out there to me. You can question what I say all you want, just don’t put me in the same “Christian” basket as you. I am not on your team and won’t be reprimanded as though I answer to your authority. I am also not an evolutionist, I seek truth and I follow Jesus. I am clearly not going to close my eyes and claim that your way is the only way. John 14:6.

1 Like

Yes indeed. Whether a vegetarian or partial to steak, the energy you spend blinking your eyes began with hydrogen atoms fusing in the core of the Sun thousands of years previously. It is the currency of life.

1 Like

You should say “He” not it :wink:

Deuteronomy 4

And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the Lord your God has [f]given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage.

Acts 17

Therefore, the One whom you worship without knowing, Him I proclaim to you: 24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. … 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

John 1

All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

John 8

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go [k]and sin no more.”

12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”