A Thomistic Approach to Chemistry

@AnonymousThomas, first of all, thank you so much for taking the time to explain all this. My exposure to A-T came from a scholastic-leaning homeschooling mom :slight_smile:

While I enjoy my share of philosophy, I get a lot more out of epistemology than metaphysics. For some reason I just can’t seems to figure out the point of ontology and to some extent causation. I’m not trying to be overly argumentative, but I just don’t get A-T (or perhaps even metaphysics as a whole, for that matter).

How do you know that chemistry is higher phenomena than physics? I’m a chemist who teaches both chemistry and physics undergraduate course and I have a hard time distinguishing between the two fields much of the time. On the ground level, it’s increasingly difficult to tell physics, chemistry, and biology apart so I have difficulty figuring out why reducibility is concern.

I understand the issue of reducibility of chemistry to be, more specifically, the question of whether all chemical phenomena can be completely explained by quantum mechanics. The trivial answer is, of course not, we don’t have analytical quantum mechanical solutions to any multi-electron systems (essentially anything other than hydrogen atoms). On the other hand, I don’t know of any chemical system where quantum mechanics does not apply. The argument comes off a little like “irreducibility of the gaps”. Don’t get me wrong, I lean towards irreducibility of chemistry (and as a chemist, selfishly towards the reducibility of biology :wink: ) but I don’t know that it matters one way or another since it would probably be just as easy to expand the definition of “physics” to include the chemistry bits that aren’t currently reducible and poof it’s reducible again. The definition of physics and chemistry seem more flexible than the metaphysical systems.

Hmm, but I think generally the idea of covalent and ionic bonds are considered a “less correct” model of reality than the quantum mechanical “areas of varying electron density between nuclei”. The idea of a chemical bond is just a convenient approximation, much to the chagrin of my students who memorized rules for Lewis structures.

Hybrid orbitals are similar. They are a convenient rough approximation we tell freshman and sophomore chemistry students, but I don’t know of any chemist that thinks orbital hybridization is more accurate than molecular orbital theory, for instance.

I’m not really sure what “molecules shouldn’t have shape according to QM” means, but computational chemists certainly use ab initio quantum mechanical calculations to find the shape of molecules. It’s entirely possible I’m missing something here.

I don’t think anybody is arguing that atoms don’t undergo changes when they bond to form a molecule, but I would certainly argue that they retain their identity within the molecule. There is a stark difference between having two H atoms and an O atom within a molecule and having a Ne atom within a molecule, even though they contribute the same number of subatomic particles (give or take a couple neutrons). The properties of water and hydrogen/oxygen gas are very different, but they aren’t unexpected or unexplained by physics.

I have no idea what it means for atoms to cease to have have causal powers. I don’t have a firm grasp of what causation really means but I’m thinking here about vibrational modes within the water molecule. If the hydrogen and oxygen atoms have no causal powers, how are there motions of the nuclei relative to each other (i.e. one atom causing a movement in another atom due to electrostatic repulsion) if all the causal power is in the water molecule as a whole?

OK, that makes more sense, but I’m still hung up on the fact that the chance of finding an atom existing on its own vs a part of a molecule is entirely dependent on the properties of the atom (e.g. electron configuration).

So how is that different than saying “molecules are made of atoms”?

You lost me here. Why would we would think that H2O and H2 and O2 need to behave the same? A hydrogen atom in H2 is in a different electronic environment than a hydrogen atom in H2O, but we know that both are hydrogen atoms (spectroscopically). Water is a liquid because of the electronegativity difference between the oxygen and hydrogen atoms and the small size of the hydrogen atom which combine to create exceptionally strong dipole-dipole interactions between the water molecules. Molecular hydrogen and oxygen are a gases because there is no electronegativity difference, therefore no dipole, and therefore only transient intermolecular forces, which are not generally strong enough to overcome the thermal energy of collisions. In all of this, nothing is unique to the molecule per se and instead depends strongly on the identity of the atoms involved. I don’t get why anybody would expect atoms to behave the same in radically different environments. To me the question is, is there something fundamental about the identity of the atom that changes as the molecule forms, and the answer is a resounding no! A foundational principle in chemistry is that atoms don’t change identity under chemical reactions, including the formation of molecules. You don’t put two hydrogens and one oxygen into a water molecules and get one hydrogen and a fluorine out when you break it apart.

What does “limiting the power of each atom in H2O” mean? To me, “specific relations between the parts and the whole” sounds a lot like “atoms combine to form molecules”, I don’t know what “substance” and “form” and A-T add to our understanding of water.

This doesn’t make any sense to me, where would this “form” come from? All the experimental and theoretical evidence I’m aware of says that atoms unite and order themselves into molecules.

Thanks again for all the work on this. It’s probably obvious I haven’t thought about the metaphysics of chemistry much.

3 Likes