Alter on The Resurrection: Take Two

Hi Mike!

I hope you didn’t take it personally, i was just amused by the logic that Vincent was using in order to reach his conclusion that you are familiar with the arguments of N.T. Wright and not questioning whether or not you were factually familiar with the material.

I’m truly sorry about the way this has been used in you context. I see these as legitimate concerns that should be engaged on their own. However, this is what brings you to the inquiry with bias. You already know the conclusion. You wrote a polemic to protect Jewish people from the story of the Resurrection. I respect that you are upfront about this.

You do not seem, however, to understand much of Christian theology. It would be interesting into engaging those objections in more detail, perhaps on another thread. It seems that this could be a place of much more interesting discussion.

I fully grant that a Jewish person of your persuasion has no interest in granting legitimacy to the Resurrection. If that is your point, you have no quarrel with me. It seems that I can see it from your point of view, right? Remember, also, that I am not actually trying to convince you of anything. If you want to reject the Resurrection, so be it.

First, the reason the “crimes” of Jesus came up is because you quoted several verses about conflicting testimony, to be used in legal proceedings, not historical analysis. That was an absurd use of those passages. For you to quote those passages in this way demonstrates in yet another colorful way that you do not have a coherent methodology. Thank you for availing yourself thusly to make my point.

Second, my (and @dga471’) complaint is to @vjtorley in portraying your analysis as something other than a polemic effort by an untrained Jewish person. @vjtorley goes so far as to equate your analysis with that of a neutral historian, when you are neither neutral nor a historian. Softening his claims, he argues that your analysis would convince a neutral historian. Yet, there is no evidence that a single neutral historian is engaging with your work, and it seems that this is for fairly obvious reasons. It appears to have large methodological flaws.

I like @vjtorley, and count him as a friend. I appreciate you have been nothing but respectful here @MJAlter. However, these are gross misrepresentations of you and your work. I’d like to clear this up before moving much further into an analysis of your argument.

1 Like

Earlier you wrote:

I’m truly sorry about the way this has been used in you context. I see these as legitimate concerns that should be engaged on their own. However, this is what brings you to the inquiry with bias. You already know the conclusion. You wrote a polemic to protect Jewish people from the story of the Resurrection. I respect that you are upfront about this.

Response: You are partially correct. Yes, I support the “traditional Jewish view that Jesus is not God, God does not exist as a Trinity, there was no virgin conception, there was no incarnation, there was/is no vicarious atonement via Jesus’s death, Jesus is not the Messiah, one does not need to go through the son to reach the Father, there was no resurrection , etc. These differences (and others) in theological beliefs separate “traditional Judaism” and “traditional Christianity.”

However, when I started my research back in 2003 (approximate), my methodology was FIRST to obtain as many arguments IN SUPPORT of the resurrection that I could locate. That is why I visited almost twenty seminaries. Only by knowing the arguments in support of Jesus’s resurrection could one perform an honest investigation. After obtaining a healthy list of arguments from William Lane Craig [my favorite], Josh McDowell, Gary Habermas, and others did I attempt to investigate IF their assertions were valid or not. Of course, I was “thrilled” when my investigation substantiated to my satisfaction, and perhaps others, that their view was incorrect. To be 100 percent clear, I did not first look for arguments refuting that resurrection.

In contrast, most, but not all books written about the resurrection by believers have an agenda: to provide support for the resurrection accounts. These writers often cited 1 Pt 3:15 and 1 Thess 5:21, 2 Tim 4:22, etc. And, being sincere believers, they are also following the Great Commission [Matt 28:16-20]. So, being 100 percent sincere, both sides have their biases.

You wrote: You already know the conclusion.

Response: No. I wished and hoped that my findings would be substantiated by the research that I carried out. But, in advance, I did NOT know the conclusion. Fortunately, my research substantiated my hopes.

You wrote:You wrote a polemic to protect Jewish people from the story of the Resurrection.

Response: Here, we have a possible problem with your usage of a loaded term: polemic. Personally, I thought that term was improper (Just being honest.). Of course, I could be wrong. There are numerous definitions in books, journal articles, the internet, etc. that discuss this term in a less offensive / overt manner. For example, on the internet, I found:

Polemic | Definition of Polemic by Merriam-Webster

When polemic was borrowed into English from French polemique in the mid-17th century, it referred (as it still can) to a type of hostile attack on someone’s ideas. The word traces back to Greek polemikos, which means “warlike” or “hostile” and in turn comes from the Greek noun polemos, meaning “war.”

polemic | Definition of polemic in English by Oxford Dictionaries

Definition of polemic - a strong verbal or written attack on someone or something.

More significant, below is an interesting point of view offered by J D Hall [One should read the entire article] :

In a future e-mail, I hope to respond to some of your additional comments. Your input is appreciated and respected.

You wrote to Vincent:

“Are you suggesting that Gary Habermas, Sean McDowell, and NT Wright are all biased?”

Response: An intellectually honest response would be yes. They are sincere believers in “mainline, traditional” theology. Certainly Gary Habermas, Mike Licona, Sean McDowell, William Lane Craig, and many others could NOT teach at their institutions if they did NOT sign letters of Doctrinal By Laws. Below is an example from Mike Licona’s school:

Licona teaches at Houston Baptist University. The Preamble to the University By-Laws states the distinctive nature of the institution.

Do you really believe that they are not biased? Biased is a loaded term… They are sincere believers…

[@moderators: please add link to quoted text, rather than quoting it in full with no reference.]

@dga471 wrote:

So you’re stuck on a dilemma:

  1. Alter did not do any new historical research, other than popularize or summarize the arguments of previous professional historians.
  2. Alter did do some new historical research (e.g. by taking some claims of previous historians and using that for a new historical case).

If you choose 1), then Alter’s case is not as much of a bombshell as you stated it to be. If you choose 2), then Alter has to persuade people that he can act as an independent, impartial, and trained historian. Which one is it?

Respectfully, you are offering a false dilemma. There exist other possibilities.

There are approximate 800 “favorable” books (in English) written about the resurrection and about 50 texts that challenge that belief. Most of the books repeat the same, tired arguments. Honestly, my text presents to its readership, in a logical and sequential manner 113 issues. These issues contain 120 contradictions and 217 speculations. The information presented represents both sides of the religious aisle. In addition, I present cutting edge information that is often omitted from the vast majority of these texts. Topics include astronomy, geophysics, criminology and the rules of evidence, the social sciences and cognitive psychology. In Volume 2, I will specifically deal with apologetics: the Minimal Facts Approach, Best Evidences, Hearsay evidence, etc. You have my word that this text makes a substantial contribution to the literature. In my opinion, if left to your two exclusive choices, number 2 would be most appropriate.

However, in reference to #2, if you do not mind, I would like to add a caveat. Hopefully, it will be take in a positive spirit:

What are your qualifications?

This is the fallacy of arguing that if someone has not received formal education in a particular topic, he or she is not allowed to present criticisms on that topic of interest. It is essentially an ad hominem attack and a defence of their view by an argument from authority.

This question represents a fallacy because information is legitimate or illegitimate regardless of whether the individual reporting it is an expert or authority. Although an expert likely knows more about a given subject, may be more likely to be correct unfounded assertions, and may be more believable, information itself does not rely on an authority for its legitimacy. Therefore, whether an individual is presenting valid criticisms of an idea depends not on his or her qualifications, but on his or her information and reasoning.

"He has attended no Bible college, taken no home Bible study courses, does not teach a Sunday School class, has not even taken first-year, basic Hebrew or Greek

You wrote:

“Alter has to persuade people that he can act as an independent, impartial, and trained historian.”

RESPONSE: Please read the quote of Taussig, located in my preface (xlvii) and J. Warner Wallace (p. 24).

I have one additional request to make: Please examine my text. And, yes, there are a few errata that I have identified. Fortunately, nothing earth shattering.

Hi Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. My earlier responses to your book have to be understood as primarily responses to Vincent’s long essay, which summarized your book’s arguments as a “bombshell” that completely demolished the historical case for the Resurrection. Thus, it would be incorrect to accuse me of arguing from authority. Rather, I am asking Vincent to apply a higher standard of judgment. The implication of Vincent’s post, as I took it, is that no respected historian should ever defend the Resurrection from historical grounds. This is a strong conclusion that only someone actually working in the field of NT history can credibly make. It implies that people like NT Wright and Mike Licona are going to become fringe figures in the field if they do not immediately recant their earlier work defending their Resurrection. Only an authoritative scholar who has a clear idea of what is intellectually respectable within the field can make such a judgment.

Now, even if one is not a professional historian, one can make judgments about history. However, the bar is higher. One has to demonstrate that despite being an outsider, one has the same level of competency as an insider. One way of doing this is by putting forth a clear, rigorous historical methodology that is consistent with what the rest of the field uses, and showing that one is familiar with the literature of the field. I did not see this in Vincent’s post summarizing your book, nor in his subsequent replies in his thread. Perhaps you do have a section in your book doing just this, but Vincent missed it. If that is the case, then feel free to correct me.

Instead, Vincent argued mainly based on his own logic (inspired by your book), while constantly claiming that “this is what an impartial, independent historian would claim.” Apart from the issue of whether Vincent’s logical arguments have some merit, because he is not a historian in this field, his pronouncements that your book is a “bombshell” for the field of Resurrection historical studies fall flat.

Daniel

1 Like

One additional note: of course, anyone is free to argue for or against the historical case for the Resurrection. I respect the fact that you have taken many years to study this topic, taking the time to respond to many arguments and facts put forth by Christian apologists, historians, and others. I welcome people debating these arguments, and in this thread I have done some of this direct engagement. However, there is a difference between enthusiastic amateurs debating history and professional historians with vast knowledge of the literature and era debating history. If one is in the category of the former (like Vincent), then one cannot go around claiming that the historical argument for the Resurrection has been utterly demolished. Rather, the proper posture is, “I believe Alter has created a strong case against the Resurrection. I look forward to how professional historians respond to this.”

3 Likes

Hello Everyone:

This morning I looked up the requisites for Sean McDowell to teach at Biola University. Later I will try to hunt down the requisites of Gary and N.T. to work at…

Sean is an associate professor in the Christian Apologetics program at Biola University. So, what is required to work at Biola:

Here is a video of Erhman arguing for the validity of the historic Jesus. One of his arguments is for the independence and validity of the 4 Gospels. This is very problematic for his common grave hypothesis.

1 Like

I’m struggling to think of example of any domain wherein the participants are passionate about their work and the previous would not be true. Certainly evolution is one topic that could be substituted as per below:

An obvious obstacle is that most of the published texts about evolution are/were written by believers. In effect, the literature is stacked…

The problem, I believe, is that you are viewing this from the wrong perspective. It is not the credal statements or statements of faith for employment that are responsible for the literature that has stacked the deck. It is the belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ that has done so.

2 Likes

Thank you for contributing your insight to the discussion.

You wrote:

“I’m struggling to think of example of any domain wherein the participants are passionate about their work and the previous would not be true.”

Response: I definitely agree!

Thanks again for writing.

1 Like

So, if the literature is stacked in all cases, then does that mean that we should devalue the literature relative to one’s passion for the subject matter? So that only that which comes from the disassociated and unaffected should prevail? From your guest post linked above:

I’ve been talking about problems with how faith-based universities distort critical biblical scholarship for years now, due to doctrinal statements that their faculty are required to sign, which force them to adhere to predetermined conclusions that are friendly to Christian dogma.

Thanks for your participation here, as well. This is a very interesting discussion.

In volume 2 (currently being edited), I discuss this critical topic. As you stated [hitting the nail on the head]: “faith-based universities distort critical biblical scholarship for years now, due to doctrinal statements that their faculty are required to sign, which force them to adhere to predetermined conclusions that are friendly to Christian dogma.”

So what options are available to staff members of faith-based universities?

  1. Quit teaching at the institution?

  2. Remain a “closet”…professor?

Probably, other options do exist. But, this reality faces those who teach at faith-based universities. The required doctrinal statements that I pointed out [Liberty University, Biola, Houston University, etc are potential real detriments to “real” scholarly discussions, interaction, and advancement of our knowledge. However, occasionally some professors make that courageous stand and do, in effect, make the transition. Then too, one must be intellectually honest and admit that some atheists or skeptics have also changed their views and became “believers”… The important point is that people should be free to express their views without fear or intimidation. As Fox Mulder in X-Files would say, “The Truth Is Out There”… And, there is nothing wrong being an “HONEST SKEPTIC”…

In closing, thanking you for your kind words.

Hi Mike,
I read your linked article and I can sympathize with your concerns if I were in your shoes. That being said, I think it is unfair to paint the work of conservative Christian scholars as biased because of the doctrinal statements they have to sign, while Bart Ehrman’s is more “authoritative” because of his position teaching in a secular university. From what I know, Ehrman is a fine, highly respected and knowledgeable scholar, but he also has his own personal bias against Christianity due to his fundamentalist upbringing. This is why he has been accused by some Christians of, for example, exaggerating the extent of textual variants of the NT in his popular books.

Because of how highly consequential the subject matter is, I believe most scholars, no matter how knowledgeable or critical, bring some tangible bias onto the table. But this is not necessarily hopeless. Mike Licona, as you surely know, devotes an entire section on his personal biases (including the fact that he has to sign a doctrinal statement) in his doctoral thesis The Resurrection of Jesus (“Confessions”, section 1.3.7). He lays down the personal risks involved with him, including to his personal faith. Even if he is still hopelessly biased, he is transparent about it. More importantly, he lays out a clear methodology for how to judge hypotheses based on what other historians (not just conservative Christian ones) have used. This is something that Vincent has not done, and I’m not sure if you’ve done this in your full-length book.

Thank you for this recommendation. Indeed, I would say that the Sinfonia Concertante is my favorite cello concerto, even more than the Dvorak. It combines Prokofiev’s percussive and melodic sides so wonderfully. The lyrical melody in the second movement is (in my subjective opinion) one of the most beautiful of all time - so expressive and melancholic, yet so distinctively modern!

3 Likes

Great to hear from you!

In the preface to my text, and also, in the acknowledgment section, I attempted (hopefully I was successful) to explain how and why I researched and wrote the book The Resurrection: A Critical Inquiry. In addition, there is my bio located on my homepage. So, hopefully, I too, have been transparent.

Insofar as his [Licona’s] methodology is concerned, he definitely carries on a healthy conversation [Ch. 6 Weighing the Evidence] with Gerza Vermes, Michael Goulder, Gerd Ludemann, John Dominic Crossan, and Pieter Craffert. But, let me mention:

  1. On page 468ff he discusses the Minimal Facts Approach = historical bed-core. Respectfully, in Volume 2, I demonstrate that this strategy is fallacious, and it is refuted.

  2. Licona pens: "Our approach will be to weigh hypotheses using only the historical bed-rock. This will serve to eliminate the weaker hypotheses.

  3. If the historical bed-rock is fallacious, so too, will be his conclusion.

  4. One weakness with Mike’s methodology is that he does NOT conjoin the strongest aspects of the five naturalistic hypotheses that he examines.

  5. By conjoining the strongest aspects of the five naturalistic hypotheses that he examines [employing McCullagh’s Best Evidences strategy = Scope, Power, Plausibility, Less Ad Hoc, and Illumination], it “could” be found superior to the "Resurrection Hypothesis [RO]. This topic is addressed in an issue in my Volume 2.

  6. The RH (p. 583]: “Following a supernatural event of an indeterminate nature and cause, Jesus appeared to a number of people, in individual and group settings and to friends and foes, in no less than an objective vision and perhaps within ordinary vision in his bodily raised corpse.”

  7. The entire foundation of this definition is based on the Gospel resurrection narratives, Acts 1, and 1 Cor 15: 1-19. If those accounts are false [as solid as quick-sand], so too is the RO. Of course, entire books, dissertation, journal articles, etc. have been written on this topic.

And, yes, Prokofiev is awesome. In my opinion, he does not receive the recognition that he deserves: lyrical violin concert #1 and his incredible 3rd piano concert, and I could go on. We were blessed with his musical output.

Take care

Mike

1 Like

I should also clarify @MJAlter, I’m not saying you should be ignored because you are an apologist with an agenda. I’m just objecting to you being portrayed as anything other than this. The issue is not how you present yourself, but how others have presented you.

Now that we have separated @vjtorley’s contributions from this thread, it will be a bit easier to engage with you on your own terms.

Could you explain something to me? Christianity began as a Jewish sect. Why is following the rabbi Jesus, now, the one thing that would make someone non-Jewish? I know it is considered offensive to even use the term “Messianic Jew,” because this term itself asserts that a Jewish person can follow Jesus. At the same time, there are atheist Jews, and reformed Jews, and many many more. Why does rejecting appear to be the fundamental sociological tenet of the full range of Judaism?

This is puzzling, and bears repeating. Why exactly is an atheist Jew to be included and tolerated, but not a “messianic Jew”?

1 Like

Thanks very much @MJAlter. I do appreciate your continuing the dialog, as there have been many questions and comments to address. I have, as you suggested, been thinking honestly and skeptically about what you have said. I’ve concluded that your issue is really an argument against the policy statements at Christian universities. You are suggesting that they cause harm by hampering the scope of the studies performed, research made and publications written by those who agree to and abide by them.

Organizational policies exist nearly everywhere, and they are in place for a reason. Nearly every organization has them and makes their employees sign them. They are made up of core values and practices that are highly valued by the organization, such that hiring and employing a person who stands against them would be detrimental to the organization. Prospective employees are free to sign them or to look for work elsewhere if they disagree with the policies presented by the organization (this is why you have been able to find these policies online and post them here; they are not hidden from view.) Once a person signs, it is assumed that they will abide by them, or that they will voluntarily end their employment if their philosophy changes such that it stands against these principles.

Operationally speaking, these policies are very important. They, in many cases, are a philosophical stance on a technical position. For example:

  1. A physicist on the space program interprets physics in some rogue way. The results of her calculations are used to help determine the direction and speed of a mission to Mars, but she rejects the understanding of certain physical laws and, instead, does things her own way. Many lives and billions of dollars are at risk, because, unbeknownst to the rest of the team, she’s not on the same page as they are.

  2. An engineer on a new construction project is building a bridge across a body of water. He secretly rejects the historical understanding regarding the tensile strength of reinforcing steel, considering the standards to be too conservative. While everyone else on the project expects him to follow them, he, instead, instructs the crews to use less rebar than is the norm. The bridge is built, but it is weaker and less flexible, and, potentially, a disaster involving the loss of life could occur.

If any employee is not in agreement with policy statements put into place by the employer, the employee is free to leave and that is what they should do. They should not be encouraged to violate the policies, nor should the policies themselves be attacked after the fact… The organization is situated for a purpose and the policies support that purpose. There is nothing wrong with the policies or this situation.

But further, you go on to suggest that the employees who abide by the standards to which they agreed are somehow less capable than those who are not operating under similar agreements. While it is technically true that the scope of conclusions has been somewhat limited by the agreement to the terms of the policy statements, this is only true for those who lack personal integrity. The reason is that everyone who agrees to the policy is stating that a) they agree now, and, b) if they decide that they disagree in the future, they will voluntarily end their employment and go work elsewhere. In either a or b, the person is not aligned with the organization and should not work there.

This, in reality, is no conundrum at all. Consider a similar case for the physicist or the engineer mentioned above. If their personal opinions about the standards to which they have agreed change, they, too, are obligated to disclose this to their employer. If the proposed standards are found to vary such that the organization and employee are not aligned, there may be no choice but to end their employment.

So, to a certain extent, it seems to me that you have taken up an issue that, in reality, is no issue at all. Unless you are lobbying for a lack of integrity to become an integral part in the employer / employee relationship, but I do not believe that was your intention. I think, however, that Mulder was wrong… the truth was right here all along! :slight_smile: Apologies for the long reply!

2 Likes

Hello Michael:

Thank you for writing your well articulated comment.

Obviously, there are some people who take very serious the policy statements required by some Christian universities. And, ultimately, they made the decision to work elsewhere. Without meaning to go too far afield, this issue has real implications as demonstrated by a recent Supreme Court ruling. A baker refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple that were getting married. The baker asserted that making the cake would, in effect, give his approval to the marriage; something that he opposed, based on religious grounds…The Court ruled in favor of the baker.

Returning to our topic, one possible solution, although perhaps extreme, is to have the writer of a paper/text state that he/she has no conflict in interest because of the institution’s doctrinal policy that he or she works at. Conflict of Interest (COI) release declarations/forms are often seen in medical/scientific journals. For example a lengthy article in JAMA (May 2, 2017) discussed this issue. One relevant paragraph from the article states:

Journal Policies on COI

Effective evaluation and transparent management of COI are essential to ensure the integrity and credibility of published articles and to promote public confidence and trust in the scientific process and the credibility of published articles. Accordingly, all authors of all manuscripts submitted for consideration for publication in JAMA and the JAMA Network specialty journals (including research reports, reviews, opinion articles, and letters to the editor) are expected to provide detailed information about all relevant financial interests, activities, relationships, and affiliations including, but not limited to, employment, affiliation, funding and grants received or pending, consultancies, honoraria or payment, speakers’ bureaus, stock ownership or options, expert testimony, royalties, donation of medical equipment; or patents planned, pending, or issued.] As stipulated in the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) disclosure form, these disclosures should include “Any potential conflicts of interest involving the work under consideration for publication” (during the time involving the work, from initial conception and planning to present), any “relevant financial activities outside the submitted work” (over the 3 years prior to submission), and any “other relationships or activities that readers could perceive to have influenced, or that give the appearance of potentially influencing” what is written in the submitted work (based on all relationships that were present during the 3 years prior to submission).

Readers are encouraged to examine the entire article.

So, at times, just identifying the institution that one teaches at, may not be sufficient COI information…

Take care

Mike

See:

May 2, 2017

Conflict of Interest and Medical Journals

Phil Fontanarosa, MD, MBA1; Howard Bauchner, MD2

Author Affiliations Article Information

JAMA. 2017;317(17):1768-1771. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.4563

And the link can be found here:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2623590

Take care

Mike

Hello Joshua:

Sorry for not responding to your comment earlier!

My concern has nothing to do with “crimes” or “supposed crimes” committed by Jesus. The issue is one of testimony, and not necessarily in a court of law. Supposing one person, Paul claimed that he saw Jesus, actually a bright light, and heard a voice claiming to be Jesus - should a person accept the sole testimony of Paul, and convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing one person, Paul repeated an unsubstantiated creed the James saw Jesus - should Paul’s unsubstantiated testimony accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing one person, Paul repeated an unsubstantiated creed that 500 plus brethren saw Jesus at one time - should Paul’s unsubstantiated testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing one person, Paul repeated an unsubstantiated creed that Cephas [which Cephas???] saw Jesus - should Paul’s unsubstantiated testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author Mark reported that no person saw a post mortem Jesus, should Mark’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted?

Supposing the author Matthew reported an unsubstantiated report that two women grasped hold of the resurrected Jesus and worshiped/paid homage to him, should Matthew’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author Matthew reported an unsubstantiated report about a guard at the tomb encouraged by the Jewish leadership, that the guard be unconscious because of an angel appearing like lightning, the Jewish leadership bribed the guard to remain silent, should Matthew’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author Luke reported an unsubstantiated DETAILED report about a two travelers on the road to Emmaus and their DETAILED dialogue with Jesus, should Luke’s unsubstantiated [“DETAILS” ’ 'FACTOIDS"] report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author John reported an unsubstantiated DETAILED report about Mary Magdalene’s visit to the tomb early Sunday morning and her later encounter with two angels and then with Jesus, should John’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author John reported an unsubstantiated DETAILED report about Jesus’s appearance to the seven disciples at the Sea of Tiberias, should John’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author John reported an unsubstantiated DETAILED report about the Doubting Thomas, should John’s unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]?

Supposing the author of Acts reported an unsubstantiated DETAILED report of Jesus’s ascension, the death of Judas, the promised parousia, should the author of Acts unsubstantiated report = testimony be accepted to convert to Christianity [accept Jesus as the Messiah]??

The issue is NOT about any crime Jesus may have committed! The issue is should ANYONE accept the reported testimonies of Paul, Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John, that was not substantiated by another witness, nor another witness who could be questioned to confirm the first report.

If two witnesses are required in a “court”, how many witnesses should one require to change his/her faith? I assume that the burden of the proof from be far greater… According to Jewish tradition [Exodus], God’s revelation was to the entire nation, ALL of the people. In the conflicting records [NT], the continuing embellished narratives, and the often lack of multi-attestation, WE HAVE NO VALID TESTIMONY TO CONVINCE ANYONE THAT JESUS WAS RAISED BODILY, FROM THE DEAD. What we have are reports that perhaps 520 plus people (believers or followers of Jesus) saw Jesus.

Take care

Mike