An Analogy for God's Providence

1. You’re imputing a requirement of efficiency to God, namely, it seems inefficient and foolish to use something imperfect to accomplish something when you can use other, better means. But efficiency only makes sense for humans who have limited resources. God has unlimited time and capabilities and is thus not bound by these things.

2. As I have argued, it’s not clear to me that “perfect efficiency” is possible.

The point under contention here is whether it is even possible for an “omnipotent” being to do things in the way that you describe. As I said, God’s omnipotence is not without bounds.

That doesn’t follow. The natural is indeed a component, or part of the means by which the supernatural is attained, but without direct supernatural intervention, it will never reach it.

To take some (imperfect) analogies: I can buy a pile of bricks, but without a plan and construction workers to execute the plan they will not magically become a house.

I can chop a lot of firewood and put them into a pile, but without a match they will not become a burning campfire.

Q: An omnipotent being doesn’t need construction workers to create the house. He can do it instantly!

Yes, but the point still holds: without the omnipotent being intervening (whether by conjuring up construction workers or instantly turning the bricks into a house), the pile of bricks remains a pile of bricks. Once you’ve decided to create a pile of bricks which are not capable of assembling themselves, you have to do something to get them to become a house.

Q: So why create a pile of bricks in the first place, instead of conjuring up a house instantly?

Indeed, it doesn’t seem efficient. But what I wasn’t looking for efficiency? What if I just liked the idea of building houses from bricks instead of instantly conjuring them, and I had unlimited time and resources? Or maybe I’ve already built a thousand houses using my instant conjuring abilities and want to try something else? The possibilities are endless here. More importantly, note that if I want to obtain a brick house, I need bricks.

3 Likes