Aquinas and Apologetics

Actually, I didn’t read it that way. I saw “provides strong support” as “this seems like a plausible interpretation” rather than “this is what I believe it means”. Thanks for the clarification.

I did read it and I did see those nice summaries. Again, I took them to be summaries of particular views from particular ancient authors. There wasn’t really anything that I saw that said that’s what you actually believed (I could have missed it). In particular, you are arguing about what 2nd Temple Judaism and some early church fathers seemed to have thought, not what you personally thought, it seemed to me. For instance, you overview the texts that lack a reference to Satan as a being, but don’t seem to address the ones that do. I thought you were just giving a good analysis of the beliefs of the authors based on what they do and don’t say, not necessarily summarizing your belief on the matter. To me there is a pretty big leap from how 2nd Temple Judaism and some of the 1st/early 2nd century fathers understood Satan/the devil/demons and “this is what Mark thought”.

This is an interesting thought, I’ll have to think about this. This kind of unpacking is helpful.

Yes, but I’m a scientist and not a professional interpreter. I realize my limitations here. That’s why it’s interesting to hear from people more knowledgable than myself. I simply don’t have the time and training to properly exegete the text myself. That’s also why I generally hold my interpretations “loosely” because I know I could be wrong.

Pretty much. That’s why I appreciate people at PS who have done the work and so I can learn from them. That’s also why I can get a little frustrated by distractions and “noise” in the conversations. My interest here is truly trying to learn, not in debating or correcting people.

I don’t know that I’d be that harsh. I do think people need to have an appropriate amount of intellectual humility, but most people aren’t trained in Greek, Hebrew, hermeneutics, or church/ANE history. Personal reading of the English text and maybe a commentary or two is about it. You can be of service to those people, if you want, but I think it may take a bit more gentle and irenic approach.

I’ve been a moderator for a while and I have never seen any limitation based on orthodoxy. Any censorship or moderation action I’ve seen has been based on violations of community standards and bad behavior, not on theological or scientific content. I agree though that we are far from Aquinas and the original topic. I will create a stub topic for you, and as a moderator of PS I’m saying that a discussion about the strengths and weakness of orthodox and alternative interpretations of Mark 5 is allowed, as long as the conversation itself follows the community guidelines.

1 Like