Artful Paltering in Science?

6 posts were split to a new topic: Is ID Creationist?

Of course.

Sure.

There’s a difference between attacking the strongest form of your opponents argument, and attacking a radically altered system of beliefs.

You can’t just assume that because you have a theology that might in some sense be better able to resist counter arguments that would work against other beliefs, that any putative believer would accept your stronger version merely on the prospect that it is more difficult to argue against.

But then you first have to find out whether the person you’re talking to actually would accept the “knowledgeable theologian’s” version of theology. The assumption on your part seems to be that, faced with the prospect of atheism, any believer would, out of some psychological bias against changing their mind, prefer to start engaging in Sophisticated Theology™ which might have next to nothing to do with what they used to believe.

But this makes these debates impossible, because you then first have to disabuse the average believer of their particular theology, then offer them the sophisticated version instead to try to convince them they should believe that version(but should they?), and only then can you start having an argument.

1 Like

Actually, no. I can’t speak for @Rumraket, but I don’t recall ever seeing something like that. I don’t expect I ever will, because we don’t need evolution to argue against the existence of deities, because we tend to think in terms of views of god(s), not an actual god, and because theists don’t tend to address such questions to atheists in the first place.

Most atheists I know of rarely argue explicitly against God’s existence(I have never come across someone who would say it is impossible that any sort of God could exist), they rather argue against belief in God’s existence because there is no good reason to.

In that sense most arguments for atheism are rebuttals to reasons offered for God-belief(as in “here is why that argument fails”), not reasons to think a God couldn’t possibly exist. Darwin’s Origin of Species has been seen by many as a response to Paley’s watchmaker argument. The “appearance of purposeful arrangement of parts”, which is invoked as an argument for belief that a part-arrange(God) should exist, is rebutted by pointing out there is another mechanism(variation+natural selection) that can produce that same appearance.

2 Likes