Biblical Ornithology

And that is how the rabbis view this (in my experience.) If you read the passage as a whole, this very grandly-poetic section is not about technical zoological exposition per se but it does describe some of the ways in which God has sovereignly and wisely endowed these animals with capabilities appropriate to their survival. As one would expect poetry in general to do: it often works from a foundation of what humans think about various topics and builds from there. In this case, the “ostrich argument” of Job 39 reminds the reader that even though an ostrich does not parent like a stork and has an ancient reputation for being a rather “oblivious” parent, “Yet when she spreads her feathers to run, she laughs at horse and rider!” (verse 18) This is kind of like our saying in casual English, “OK, so you don’t consider the ostrich mother a great parent by human standards—but ya gotta respect that that same ostrich can easily outrun a horse and rider!”

Because the ancient Hebrews had a high opinion of storks and a not-so-high opinion of ostriches, there are multiple passages in the Old Testament where storks (in positive ways) and ostriches (in negative ways) are referenced—in each case in order to make a pointed statement about God and his chosen people, not about ornithology. (That doesn’t lead me to conclude that God is pro-stork and anti-ostrich per se. The topic in such passages is not to improve human understanding of bird behaviors.)

This topic brings to mind the popular expression “Every rose has its thorns.” It’s a true statement in its usual context—where the topic isn’t really roses per se but someone or some thing upon which the rose comparison is being analogically applied. After all, technically speaking, if one were addressing a botanical society, someone would most certainly object to “Every rose has its thorns” because even in nature (and not just special hybrids cultivated by people) there exist a few varieties of thornless roses. So even if it can be argued that “Every rose has its thorns” is a botanically false statement, the sentence can nevertheless still be true in its context—especially poetic ones.

One of the things I learned from my SIL/Wycliffe Bible Translator colleagues many years ago is that genre is vital to good Bible hermeneutics and translation.

@swamidass, I should have included this additional explanation in my response to your previous question in this thread.

4 Likes