Biological Science Rejects the Sex Binary, and That’s Good for Humanity

I don’t think I ever said that, nor anything like that.

Sure, but the ACTUAL point that I was making was that we are able to find consistent distinctions, even when there are no fundamental distinctions. That’s what the example of colors was for. We see distinctions in colors, treating them as distinct categories, yet visible light is fundamentally a spectrum with no boundaries from one color to the next. So the fact that humans can recognize distinct categories of a set - even consistently - that does not mean that those distinctions are fundamental.

I hate to bring up this example, but you are following the same type of reasoning as race realists.
“What do you mean race is not biologically real?? It’s just a fact that different groups of humans have distinct differences that allows us to tell them apart. I am able to consistently recognize the race of each individual. Sure, there are exceptions, but exceptions are not the rule.”

Well, that is actually what is implied with the idea that sex is binary. It’s also the issue that is encountered with sex testing in sports, where they attempt to distinguish males from females based on the presence/absence of a (seemingly) biologically ‘essential’ attribute of the ‘ideal’ female/male. First they did nude parades, then y-chromosome, and recently testosterone levels. Such practices quite frankley ruined the careers of several female athletes (including cisgender).

Also, in your first post here, you (probably unintentionally) exhibited some essentialism (almost as if you are referencing an ideal female/male form) when you said that most intersex people are still…

Actually, most things don’t have one uniform color. Most reflect light of many wavelengths, but our brain interpret a stream of different wavelengths as one color. Like the “color” white (often not regarded as a true color) is the quintessential example. Perhaps that was what you meant when you said that most things have 1 overall color. However, the point of the analogy was to show that our perception (boundaries between colors) don’t necessarily match the fundamental nature of the thing in question (spectrum). So you citing another perception (uniform color) that doesn’t match the fundamental nature (stream of photons of many different wavelengths) just proves my point even further.

There are also seems to be cultural factors to this, like words for “blue” often don’t show up in languages until the invention of blue pigments (which is rare in nature).

I don’t think they “communicate something real about physical reality”. Like the boundaries (the original point of the analogy) are NOT fundamentally real - instead they are quirks resulting from a combination of neurological processes and cultural history.

You got it backwards (although probably my fault of not being clear). I meant that that you were incidentally pointing out the problem of phenetics due to its idealism.

I disagree with this. I am in more or less agreement with the notion of historical contingency famously argued by Stephen J. Gould. Natural selection doesn’t explain why humans are bipedal as opposed to quadrupedal centaurs. That’s a consequence of historical contingency during evolution.

Yes, but unlike the cladistic sense, none of them are real.

Again, this goes back on the whole point of my color analogy. Just because humans can have consistent agreement on such catagorisation, that does not mean it is referring to / based on something real. Like ‘fish’ - in the common paraphyletic sense - is not real. If you think it does, than you unintentionally are contending the biological idealism of phenetics.

You’ve just explained why the perceived distinction is an illusion, which only proves my point even further.

Another thing that I never said.

Just like with the term ‘fish’, it depends on how you are using it.

I also never said that.

That highly depends on exactly what you are talking about. Like I don’t think you would go as far as adaptationism. And I also would point out that (in addition to the biology) are many aspects that we associate with the sexes, particularly regarding behavior (femininity and masculinity) and societal roles, that are predominantly cultural constructs.

That’s good.

Nothing more to add.