Why Humans are Fish [If that word refers to anything 'real' at all]

Of course, I said a lot more prior to that where I laid down the argument for why cladistics is objective (unlike phenetic and evolutionary taxonomy) to support that ‘fish’ - as a clade - is a real group. See here (emphasis mine):

To summarise: There is a REAL natural phylogenetic hierarchy. Cladistic taxonomy represents this hierarchy as monophyletic taxa. i.e. clades. Hence why cladistics is objective. Ergo, clades are ‘real’ groups, unlike those that are paraphyletic or polyphyletic.

You misunderstood what I was saying there. Using your words, but making a few edits, what I meant by that statement is the following:

So the common paraphyletic sense of fish is only recognizable to us now as a distinct group because a long line of ancestors have gone extinct, leaving us with this illusion that the particular set of characters of some descendants (tetrapods) makes them seemingly sufficiently different from members of the fish group. Had those ancestors still existed, it would much easier to see how arbitrary it is where you put the line and say “these descendants right there, that’s objectively a new group distinct from - and not part of - the fish group. All it’s decendants don’t belong to the fishes, even while all it’s ancestors do”.

But to address the point that you were making here; about the fact that we couldn’t pint out the very first member of a group by looking at them. Not even theoretically, because at every point the direct ancestors / descendants would still look pretty much the same. But this has little to do with. cladistics. A clade is not defined by looks (phenotype), but in terms of phylgenetic relationships, i.e. a common ancestor + all descendants. That group is real. It exists independent of what we think about it. It exists regardless whether we are theoretically able to identify that specific ancestor (or ancestral population) among all the ancestors or not. Your point here (It’s impossible to point out the ‘first’ of a group based on phenotype) is actually a point against phenetics, NOT cladistics.

As explained previously, clades are not arbitrary. But seeing how you are referring to Linnaean ranks as an example of something that has the same problem, I think I can see the issue you are referring to. It’s true that assigning ‘ranks’ to groups, even if the groups are clades, is arbitrary. It is similarly arbitrary as to what name we assign to each clade. But the issue of picking a name for a clade is something I have already addressed preemptively in the very last paragraph of the top comment. Regardless what name (or rank) we give to the clade, it doesn’t affect the realness of the clade.

I’d think if the grouping represents something objectively real, then yes. Although, I don’t think I have admitted that we can group things specifically by “certain characteristics”. At least not here, as I have specifically argued against phenetics. Sure, a clade is inferred by identifying the synapomorphies, but that is how we infer the group, it’s not how the group is defined.

EDIT: This part below, I will copy paste it back to the previous thread since that is relevant to the original topic.

When it comes to the previous discussion, we have agreed (unless I am mistaken) that sex is a spectrum, with male and female representing the opposite ends of the spectrum, and intersex or DSD representing the middle. In this sense, male and female are real. However, if you treat ‘male’ and ‘female’ as ‘distinct (binary) groups’, I would say that they are not real. In this case, these are subjective constructs, similar to what portions of the spectrum of visible light constitutes the color ‘red’ or ‘blue’.