Can Philosophy Reduce Confirmation Bias?

Hi, Joshua. Note that I said “scientists”, not biologists, and that I was talking about the whole history of BioLogos since its inception, so I was including all scientists who have written regular columns or frequent guest columns at BioLogos, or who have been on the executive. So I was including Francis Collins (who founded the institution, although he left soon after), Darrel Falk, Karl Giberson, Dennis Venema, Kathryn Applegate, Deb Haarsma, and also frequent guest columnists such as Ard Louis (well, not so frequently recently, but a few years back) and Denis Alexander (ditto) and Francisco Ayala (ditto). Of those, all were in the life sciences except for Deb Haarsma, Karl Giberson, and Ard Louis. It is in columns (and sometimes in responses to readers) by such people (and in less frequent and one-shot guest columns by other evangelical scientists) that one could frequently find confirmation bias in the interpretation of the Christian tradition. Relatively few columns were written by philosophers or even theologians, though Pete Enns who was a Biblical scholar (as opposed to systematic theologian) had a regular gig. Enns focused mostly on Biblical texts, rather than theologians, so the bulk of the biased readings of Christian tradition (inaccurate, wish-driven statements about Calvin, Wesley, Origin, Augustine, the Fathers, Pascal, Barth, Newman, etc.) came from the scientists there.

As for the current situation, it’s hard to tell, because with the cancellation of the regular series by Ted Davis and Dennis Venema, it would appear that BioLogos no longer has any regular columnists, and a high percentage of the columns these days are “reprints” of columns several years old. Most of the discussion there now is about items posted by commenters rather than by anyone actually working for the organization. Deb Haarsma and Kathryn Applegate are still there, but there appear to be no other regular scientific contributors, and even Deb and Kathryn almost never write columns, but are more in the background as administrators. So one doesn’t see as much biased discussion of Christian tradition by the scientists there as one used to, mainly because the few scientists who are still there aren’t writing new material.

So yes, when you consider that the core of BioLogos is now Deb, Kathryn, Jim, and Brad, only two of whom are scientists, it’s true that there isn’t much representation by scientists there. But it wasn’t always so. The place used to be dominated by scientists who were active as columnists (or in Falk’s case, as both columnist and head moderator) and by scientists who popped in to write new guest columns. It was during those days that Jon Garvey and I got to “know” the BioLogos people and their approach to science and faith, and it’s out of that long and not always pleasant experience that my remark arose.

In any case, this discussion between us is becoming an awfully long footnote to my original point, i.e., that philosophy is actually helpful in teaching people to resist confirmation bias (both their own and that of others), even if not all philosophers pay heed to their own teaching in this regard. But we might agree that some of the ID people tend to have a confirmation bias regarding scientific questions, whereas some of the BioLogos people tend to have a confirmation bias regarding theological questions. I’d also add, however, that some scientists of the atheistic variety have confirmation biases in both areas – again not biases springing from academic training in philosophy, but from their commitments as atheists.

An interesting postscript to this discussion might take up the case of Antony Flew, who at the end of his life fought his own confirmation biases against both God and design inferences, and triumphed over them. Flew was a philosopher, so that is relevant to the original posting by Dan above.

If the evidence is only allowed to be interpreted so that it fits a preconceived conclusion then it is confirmation bias. What you are saying is that there is no conceivable fact that would ever change the mind of a Young Earth creationist.

3 Likes

I would be interested in hearing about these commitments you think atheists have.

3 Likes

There are different kinds of atheist. There are “agnostic atheists”, who don’t personally believe God exists, but don’t claim to have a proof that God exists, and these atheists generally aren’t out attacking religious people or religious beliefs, as long as those beliefs aren’t hurting anyone. Some agnostic atheists are open to new evidence that might convince them God exists. For example, some show an openness to fine-tuning arguments. I would call Fred Hoyle an agnostic atheist on such grounds.

The agnostic atheists aren’t riddled with commitments, but the militant atheists are. For them, religion is the bane of mankind, and it’s a mission to get other people to stop believing in God. Such atheists have commitments that make it hard for them to be fair or even open to non-atheistic views. It’s pretty hard to read Coyne and Dawkins without sensing such commitments.

Extreme feminists and extreme Marxists also have such commitments (which often overlap with atheist commitments, but that’s another subject). Every discussion with a doctrinaire feminist ends up with the feminist trotting out more alleged evidence for the evils of patriarchy, and every discussion with a doctrinaire Marxist ends up with the Marxist repeating the same talking points against capitalism.

If someone has developed a deep existential conviction that God does not exist, and further, that belief in God is not merely a harmless illusion, but something destructive and evil that has harmed human progress, led to all kinds of social inequality, racism, etc., such a person is not going to be truly open to arguments that there is design in nature. If one has already decided for visceral reasons that God can’t exist, mustn’t exist, because the universe just wouldn’t be tolerable if it was ruled by such an evil cosmic tyrant, one is simply not going to have the theoretical detachment necessary to listen to design arguments; one is always going to hear, in the background of those design arguments, a potential endorsement for the kind of Supreme Being one is determined to fight against.

You describe yourself as a friendly atheist. I believe there are friendly atheists, and I know many of them. (I probably have more “agnostic atheist” good friends than Christian good friends.) But there are militant atheists who are not friendly, at least, not on the level of ideas, to anything which might lead in the direction of God. When I speak of commitments of such atheists, I mean the term “commitments” in the sense that one might speak of the commitments of firm Marxists, radical feminists, staunch Republicans, zealous vegetarians, etc. I don’t think one can deny that there are militant atheists who have such commitments, any more than one can deny that there are extreme fundamentalists who have commitment, extreme libertarians who have commitments, etc.

“Anti-Theists” is a term often applied. There are some militant atheists (eg: PZ Myers) who will acknowledge they have no quarrel with some sorts of religion/belief (it might be harmless). An anti-theist is likely to say ALL religion is harmful because it encourages false belief.

Anti-theists tend to be much more emotional in their dislike of religion.

4 Likes

For most atheists, atheism and agnosticism are answers to two different questions. Agnosticism deals with what we know and atheism deals with what we believe. All atheists lack a belief in deities, but some atheists go further and claim that no deities exist.

Just so we are clear, atheism doesn’t require a belief that religions are the bane of mankind. Wanting others to believe as you do is a an all too common commitment found in many groups of people. At least in my experience there is a baser instinct in humans that wants others to conform to how they see the world, and this instinct filters upwards through our worldviews instead of being born from them. A brief run through history sees this pattern in many religions and social movements.

We also need to leave room for people who just don’t agree. Our first reaction shouldn’t be that they have commitments to a world view that prevents them from ever agreeing with us, although that may turn out to be true in some cases. If the ID movement thinks that people reject their claims because of a commitment to atheism then they are missing what people are really saying, and the ID movement will continue to struggle if the fall victim to this false view of the world.

3 Likes

I agree with much of your reply, T. I especially like:

I would like to take up this point:

I agree, in principle – we should not prejudge motivation. We should focus on arguments and evidence. But don’t forget to consider the social context of actual debates. In actual debates, we often have plenty of evidence, based on long experience with the individuals we are dealing with, that such commitments do exist in those individuals.

Having worked closely with ID people for something like 11 years now, and having read gobs of responses to them (academic book reviews, newspaper book reviews, Amazon reviews, rebuttals in book form), having observed thousands of heated blog-site comments (on Panda’s Thumb, Uncommon Descent, BioLogos, etc.), and having watched scores of podcast debates among the principal players (Nelson, Behe, Berlinski, Dembski, Ruse, Miller, Scott, Lamoureux, Krauss, Meyer, etc.), I have come to agree with some of the ID people who complain that their opponents are often arguing against ID not only on the basis of scientific evidence, but also out of a strong dislike of worldviews in which God is involved.

As a scholar of religion who thinks a lot about world views and metaphysical assumptions, I have over several decades developed a pretty good “ear” for world view assumptions and unshakable base convictions. I don’t think my instincts regarding Coyne and Dawkins and Krauss are wrong; I think that in addition to whatever scientific arguments they have for their views on origins, they also have strong personal motivations to try to block any line of argument that could lead to design conclusions. I won’t try to prove this to you, but it’s based on over ten years of reading and listening to these guys, and many years of reading their analogues from earlier generations (Monod, etc.), plus 40+ years of high-level academic analysis of world view assumptions from ancient Greek times to the present. If you disagree with me, if you think that these people are totally objective scholars with no metaphysical animus at all against the idea of God, then we will just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

You know, the atheists often make the same charge against fundamentalists. In fact, I’ve seen the charge made here in the past few days. It is said that the YEC, the literalist, the fundamentalist, whatever, will not change his view no matter what the evidence, because the YEC etc. has an unshakable commitment to the Bible which forces him or her to reject even good science if it conflicts with the Bible. And in fact, I believe that is quite often true. But I determined that not by assuming at the outset that fundamentalists were prejudiced by their assumptions; I determined it by reading their literature and listening to them speak, since I was about 12 years old, which is getting on near to five decades now. I think I can fairly impute this motive to them. That doesn’t mean they don’t sometimes offer genuine scientific arguments, e.g., maybe some pocket of gas in some mineral seems to show the earth is much younger than the standard view allows. It doesn’t mean that fundamentalists always do bad science, or never fairly consider evidence. I do think, however, that in the end, certain fundamentalists simply will not allow the evidence against their position to be decisive, no matter how massive it is. And I think that is true of some atheists as well.

I’m not claiming that Coyne etc. have no genuine, rational, detached arguments against design. I’m claiming only that pure, non-detached, disinterested search for truth is not all that Coyne etc. are about. There are fundamental religious, world view, metaphysical – call them what you will – commitments held by players in all sides of these origins debates, and to pretend they don’t exist will lead only to misunderstanding the debates. To pretend, for example that all the “evolutionary scientists” are metaphysics-free, bias-free, seeking only to know the truth wherever it lies, etc. while the creationists are loaded with prejudices because of their religion, is to rest in a fantasy world. That just isn’t the world we live in.

So sure, let’s always start out with evidence and argument, and give our opponents the benefit of the doubt regarding motivation. But if over a large number of writings, over a long period of time, a persistent pattern shows up in a person’s arguments, a certain kind of stubborn resistance, whether a fundamentalist or a materialist stubborn resistance, let’s not be afraid to identify it for what it is. Let’s call a spade a spade.

No. its not putting evidence in a straitjacket. its just a confidence and faith that the evidence will only fit the biblical boundaries.
Yes any excekllent fact could change our minds. Yet our faith is that it doesn’t exist.
Again its just saying the historical claim always said by protestant Christianity.
the bible is gods word and so anything against it is wrong. Organized creationism exists to take on any claims othyerwise in the world of origins.

By the way evolutionists, mostly, have a confirmation bias in rejecting oUT OF HAND any thing notin visable nature.
god/miracles etc are rejected and not part of any investigation.

Part of the problem is that creationists are not engaging the scientific community. Instead, their focus is primarily on the general public. This sets off alarm bells for most scientists regardless of their religious views. When you make yourself look more like a PR firm than a scientific research group you can create a false impression.

3 Likes

Especially if ones conclusions are part of ones founding belief statement.

1 Like

One way to demonstrate this supposed lack of confirmation bias is to describe the types of fossils, geologic formations, and shared genetic features that would falsify YEC. In my own experience, I have yet to see a creationist describe the characteristics a fossil would need to have in order to falsify YEC. The same goes for geologic formations and genomes.

The claims of miracles are rejected because they lack evidence.

1 Like

I think it’s OK to require a reasonable burden of proof, and reject claims where this is not met. For example, YEC claims found in Flood Geology either violate the laws of physics, OR the laws of physics require consequence which we do not observe. YEC researchers are not unaware of these problems, but that does not stop them.

The trouble is, we shouldn’t need to reject such claims, much less reject them repeatedly, when there is no reasonable basis.

2 Likes

They say its more then lack of evidence for rejection of miracles. tHey use words like naturalism, I forget, to say that only natural things, no supernatural, can even be included in investigation. this is a famous oresumptuion they push.(I forget the words).

I don’t know about falsifying a fossil from a YEC view. Etc. It seems tricky to do those things.

YEC would think its reasonable. I do. My first interest was Geomorphology. This summer has been my project to examine S Ontario formations for a result of a fast, post flood, flood shaping of S Ontario. Fun and profitable.
Organized creationism works with the laws but has the same problem of having to figure out things. I assure you there is lots to be figured out in just ordinary streams. how does meandering reall;y work, step pools, waterfall retreat, the time for formations of rivers. Potholes genesis. slot canyon mechanics. etc

I like to play in the dirt and water too. :slight_smile:

They actually use words like “independent” and “verifiable”. I would assume that you also draw a line between a claim and evidence.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.