Catholic Cardinal Blames Sex Scandals on “Moral Depravity” of Gay People and Atheists

I think we look at the Catholic Church differently. I see it as an global institution. Like Amazon, or like the government of Denmark, or a university on a global scale. It is the institution that is corrupt in the way it is organized, how power is disseminated. 500 years ago, Martin Luther broke up the Catholic Church monopoly on power. Now is the time to finish the job. Break up the Catholic church, decentralize its power. Get rid of the Pope and Cardinals and the Bishops. Let the Catholic Church run like the non-denominational Christians do it. Of course, it would far apart in a few years.

Let me tell you now that you are wrong on this. The Church is not like a government or a company like Amazon. The Pope has no legal sway over a bishop.

This is not possible. You can make them powerless in terms of politics or money, but the office of the pope and bishops have to exist in the Catholic Church.

Yes, just like it was inconceivable to have a country without a monarchy, an economy without slaves, a Roman Empire without an Emperor, an Egypt without a Pharaoh. Times change. I predict that within 50 years, there will be no Catholic Church like that exists today, nor Popes nor College of Cardinals, nor Bishops. Like the Roman, Egyptian and Greek Gods, the institution of the Catholic Church will be profoundly different than the way it is today.

A Catholic Church cannot exist without the succession of bishops. This is a different matter than the examples you mentioned above. The philosophical underpinnings are completely different. We have discussed this before. I am tired of repeating arguments with you.

Let me be frank. Just yesterday you claim in this post that:

And the statement that it is highly unlikely that I am going to live to age 900 is also a metaphysical claim.

This is such an obvious error that I am now unsure if you have the philosophical training to follow our previous discussions.

@Patrick

This is uncalled for. Sorry about that. I was annoyed when I wrote that post.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the Monty Python “the Bishop”

1 Like

Should atheists leave various atheist-friendly organizations due to the scandalous accusations made against Lawrence Krauss?

1 Like

Most atheist groups came out against Larry Krauss immediately. I know that FFRF did.

Indeed. And I know lots of Roman Catholics who are thoroughly disgusted by the various scandals within the world of Catholicism.

So nobody necessarily needs to change their memberships over the sins of others, even the sins of leaders.

Unless the organization included institutionalized impropriety. Then you either clean house starting at the top or quit the organization.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.