Chapter 0: The Power of Babelfish

How about “Information”, where the mathematical definitions are practically opposite of the common meaning to the layperson (“message”).

3 Likes

And, oh boy, how the meaning of “information” is mangled in the evolution/design debates!

4 Likes

No kidding. As several threads on this forum show. So is:

1. Random
  2. Evolution
  3. Darwinism
  4. Design

And so many other things.

2 Likes

@deuteroKJ, just for my understanding of how non-experts see this, I have a question. Did you figure that out before or after listening into the conversations here at Peaceful Science?

Before…through the years of being invested in the faith-science interface. It seems that the ID people first made this a talking point (i.e., “evolution can’t produce information”), but now YECs have added it to their repertoire. One of the guys that helped years ago flesh out the equivocation in these debates/discussions was Jim Stump.

2 Likes

There is mangled meaning in every one of these debates. Perhaps I should add “almost”, but I would be hard pressed to find a counter-example.

2 Likes

Just a reminder that I’ll be online for a live video discussion this Saturday starting at 7:30pm EST. I’ll be using Facebook Live. You can like/follow the book page (https://www.facebook.com/FaithacrosstheMultiverse) to stay up to date, and I will post a link here once the video starts.

I’ll be taking questions via Facebook comments, or you can ‘go live’ on the video stream with a question or comment. I will also try to keep on eye on this thread. And I’ll have some guests on camera with me, so it won’t just be a monologue.

Hope to see you there!

1 Like

Here is the link for the live video:

1 Like