Comments on YEC experience on this board

That’s because in science people base their acceptance on the physical evidence. You base your beliefs on your religious indoctrination. You could easily get people to change their acceptance by supplying scientific evidence to support your YEC claims but you don’t. You post links to long discredited Creationist nonsense from your place of employment and dodge all the evidence which directly contradicts your claims. That won’t change anyone’s mind.

What would it take to get you to accept a scientifically verified old Earth and evolution?

4 Likes

If I believed I’d be roasting in Hell for all eternity if I believed in gravity, I’d be denying gravity with my every breath.

But I can’t imagine what would persuade me to believe such a thing, so that doesn’t really explain YEC’s.

I would like to addt that we currently have much better YEC representation on the forum than ever before. I don’t just mean that we have more YECs (that too) but they are also much better representatives of their group as a whole.

1 Like

I’m a recent but now former YEC. I came here a couple of years ago, after spending many years in internal conflict. Believing the Bible taught YEC, but that there was little evidence( and eventually concluded no evidence) in science for a YEC position.

I arrived seeking to understand how other Christians, who believed in an inspired Bible, were able to reconcile the Bible and evolution.

These forums and associated articles, along with much other studying (often based on books or sources mentioned here) have been very helpful to me in seeing where I was reading interpretation into Bible verses that was probably incorrect. Essentially I’ve realized my underlying hermeneutics were incorrect.

This has led to a non-YEC view of the Bible, while still being entirely committed to it’s full inspiration, and to being able to reconcile an non-YEC view with a roughly “reformed” theology that I believe the Bible teaches.

8 Likes

By “better representatives” do you mean “more typical” or “more capable”?

1 Like

(facepalm) How many descriptions with links to the published research in the primary scientific literature have we provided to PDPrice in the last year? Twenty? Thirty? More? I counted ten in the last “Flood geology” thread alone. Yet he has the nerve to make a blatantly false claim no one ever provides him with citations. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I believe providing citations is his very definition of “elephant throwing”.

2 Likes

I don’t mine others’ religious beliefs and I don’t mind if they disagree with the scientific conclusions. I just can’t stand the flat out lying about what has been presented. :rage:

4 Likes

I would rephrase as “science can neither confirm nor falsify . . .”

More typical, not necessarily more capable, but better able to interact without leaving a negative personal impression. Not trolls.

(No disrespect to our resident Ogre!) :wink:

Hey @ho_idiotes, thanks for starting that conversation! It will be good for non-YEC people to read what YEC participants think and feel about the forum.

3 Likes

@cdods They do exist elsewhere, but until a just few years ago it was very hard to find them. There are several Facebook group I could recommend, THIS ONE is managed in part by @sygarte, who occasionally comments here.

@Tim

So it is your belief that Young Earth Creationists do not favor Intelligent Design arguments? While there are many I.D. folks who have unusually complex Creationist views, I have not noticed that Young Earth Creationists OPPOSE I.D. arguments. Have YOU noticed such a pattern?

I think you are getting further and further away from what I originally said:

I was not questioning whether YECs reject ID arguments (such as Irreducible Complexity, Specified Complex Information, etc) that make no explicit mention of an Old Earth, or of evolution over millions of years.

8 posts were split to a new topic: On Radiometric Dating

A post was merged into an existing topic: A Conversation on Fossils

32 posts were split to a new topic: A Conversation on Fossils

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: A Conversation on Fossils

A post was merged into an existing topic: On Radiometric Dating