Coyne on the war between science and faith

I agree with all of this, I just put a few adjectives in brackets to show you how I take a slightly different twist on the agreement.

By necessity, a YEC view is defined by rejecting interpretations of findings in multiple fields of science that we do think are demanded by the biblical text. There is no reason to have such a stance unless we believed it to be so.

I think a line is necessary because as I’ve said in this forum, I believe Jesus requires it of me. This is how I think: God could not have created this world with death as a created norm when death is a punishment for sin. Why else would Jesus have to die? Why could he not have suffered a spiritual death for all of us only? Why else does the resurrection need to be the miracle than proved him as the victor? And then we have the doctrine of the first Adam and last Adam, the image of God in both man and woman but also their separate roles, which means Genesis 1 and 2 must be read as one story to understand marriage correctly

I can see that you can interpret specific passages of Scripture so that it agrees with evolutionary science. IMO, you can’t really have a higher regard for Scripture than @swamidass does in his GAE hypothesis and still affirm current evolutionary science. I appreciate it in that way.

But from my perspective, interpreting Bible passages in light of certain aspects of current scientific theories may be possible, but you’re breaking many themes of the Bible when you do so.

I hope it’s OK to share a poem I wrote in college that shows this. It was good that I looked at it tonight as I’ve thought since I wrote it, the last word didn’t fit, and I rewrote that line tonight :slight_smile: Hopefully it helps you understand my perspective regarding some of these themes. And it’s an excuse to share my poetry. :blush:

From Fruit to Fruition

I eat this fruit:
succulent life breathing life
from the creator-synchronized creation
in the splendor of that first light.
In the cool of the night
His goodness I taste and see.

I eat this fruit:
blinding pride poison clouds my eyes.
Naked to the core
dying I die.
Now rising, now rotten red sun
peeling in pain, uncovers my shame.

I eat this fruit:
communion of the body, shed scarlet skin
battered and bruised to breathe new life in
my soul; His white flesh rots,
while turning raw, red flesh
unblemished as lamb’s wool.

I eat this fruit:
sweet inheritance of grace,
plucked from undying branches,
an enveloping, enthralling taste.
Eating, I stand with the throng inside the gates,
as the Creator smiling, chews and captivates.

2 Likes