Curious what theologians throughout history made of Genesis 4

Actually this is what I said.

And it’s not a surprise when the scholars you side with, are the scholars who hold the same view as you do.

Oh so now you’ve downgraded your previous claim to “implied”.

Firstly I don’t need any such degrees to know whether or not you’ve justified it. Secondly I never regard myself as an expert on any scholarly field, and nor do I ever represent myself as one. I have corrected you on this repeatedly. This was the most recent occasion.

The fact that you keep repeating this falsehood, even after being corrected repeatedly, shows that you’re simply dishonest.

I don’t claim to be vastly learned on any subject, especially not Classics. A bachelor degree doesn’t make someone “vastly learned” on a subject.

Unlike you, I honestly acknowledge my theological biases. I am extremely biased against the “traditional” reading (not “plain and evident meaning”, but thanks for self-identifying as a fundamentalist), of demon possession in the gospels, due to my theological background.

But that’s precisely why I have made great efforts to see if my personal view is exegetically justifiable, and of course it has not been difficult to find scholarship which supports my view. Additionally, I have taken the step of writing up my own arguments for my own view, and submitting them to peer review. The result thus far has been acknowledgement of the scholarly merit of one of my papers, and its publication in a peer reviewed and refereed journal. This is what intellectual honesty looks like.

Spoken like a true fundamentalist. Ken Ham would be proud. You have totally avoided the real issue. The consensus is built on the strength of the process, not its flaws. The consensus has been formed through repeated observation, hypotheses, experimentation, accurate predictions, and the repeated validation of hypotheses, and their persistent resistance to falsification.

Then you come along, an autodidact with no relevant expertise, and say “I disagree with your science, because of my theology”, and you fly into a screaming rage when people don’t take you seriously.

2 Likes