David Montgomery: Noah's Flood and the Development of Geology

You first! why me do mental gymnastics? If these things did not happen then guessing what it would look like is vain.
its the other side that should see the convergence in looks in geology or biology , on a probability curve, means its from the same mechanism. Canyons are shown to be created from quick water events like the missoula flood type or other types. There is no need for guesses about long age needed to make canyons . Its very unlikely one would know what a canyon would look like if acxtually long aged influenced.
In the old days they simply were dumber and only though long ages could create canyons. now this is known to be a error.

Your inability to describe the criteria and potential falsifications for determining if a geologic formation was produced by a recent global flood makes my point for me. It is not a studied approach. It is a dogmatic belief devoid of any critical thinking or studying.

The Channeled Scablands look nothing like the Grand Canyon. The scablands have wide U-shaped canyons with braided channels. The Grand Canyon has a single channel with a v-shape. The Grand Canyon has gooseneck meanders which evidence the slow moving river that cut it. The scablands do not have this feature.

If you had taken a studied approach you would know why the Grand Canyon was not cut quickly.

4 Likes

This is not so. I know gemorphology. Easily canyons are cut with v or u shapes. In fact they are called channeled tunnels in glacial things. Slot canyons in nature or labs easily cut canyons of all types. A excellent NOVA episode on this.
Meanders is still not understood and there is no proof they can only be made by slow processes.
Its a big subject.It requires entry level knowledge which you, others, probably don’t have here.

Is “glacial things” the technical term that geologists use?

I appreciate the kind words.

What research projects have you worked on? What papers have you co-authored? Or if your studies are less advanced, what courses have you taken, where?

2 Likes

I live in Nebraska on a creek that has beaver dams, I have lived there for 45 years and I know exactly how meanders are produced. They can be produced within decades, depending on the soil and the water flow. A large and rapid flood can erase them.

3 Likes

Blurting out bare assertions is not a replacement for evidence, reason, and study.

You claim to know “gemorphology”, yet you claim we don’t know how meanders form in rivers. That’s a hilarious contradiction. The processes that produce meanders are very well known, and they require a slower river, slow drops in elevation, and longer time periods (i.e. more than a few months). All of the evidence points to the Grand Canyon being cut by the slow uplift of the Colorado Plateau which caused the slow meandering river to slowly cut through the rock hard sediments of the region.

3 Likes

Actually the formation of the Grand Canyon is a bit more complex. From the abstract:

The timing of formation of the Grand Canyon, USA, is vigorously debated. In one view, most of the canyon was carved by the Colorado River relatively recently, in the past 5–6 million years. Alternatively, the Grand Canyon could have been cut by precursor rivers in the same location and to within about 200m of its modern depth as early as 70–55 million years ago. Here we investigate the time of formation of four out of five segments of the Grand Canyon, using apatite fission-track dating, track-length measurements and apatite helium dating: if any segment is young, the old canyon hypothesis is falsified. We reconstruct the thermal histories of samples taken from the modern canyon base and the adjacent canyon rim 1,500mabove, to
constrain when the rocks cooled as a result of canyon incision. We find that two of the three middle segments, the Hurricane segment and the Eastern Grand Canyon, formed between 70 and 50 million years ago and between 25 and 15 million years ago, respectively. However, the two end segments, the Marble Canyon and the Westernmost Grand Canyon, are both young and were carved in the past 5–6 million years. Thus, although parts of the canyon are old, we conclude that the integration of the Colorado River through older palaeocanyons carved the Grand Canyon, beginning 5–6 million years ago.

Link:

BC

2 Likes

How do YECs explain why we don’t see Grand canyons across the globe? Should there be one or more each in Africa, south America, Europe, Australia, and Asia? Why only in North America?

@davidson @stcordova @Joel_Duff

1 Like

meanders has been a very studied thing. Even einstein took a shot at it, not sure if he was right, and others. I don’t think decades is needed but yes they can be destroyed by a flood.not about soil as they are found in bedrock, glacial ice, even the gulf stream is said to meander. its not figured out yet like many subjects in waterflow issues.

nope. Its still debated how they happen. no evidence shows the GC was created from slow processes. in fact its impossible. another fact is that canyons are made quickly in the lab and in the field.
they were just doing bad guessing in the old days in these tiny circles of men who thought about it.

Meanders. The river beds were there almost certainly before the Flood. And a tranquil flood at that. It explains so much of the evidence.

How does a tranquil flood explain angular unconformities? You ducked out of the last geology thread without answering.

2 Likes

You have a terrible memory. You mean when you posted your picture and I gave a detailed answer and summation like this:

“Conclusion: You have just submitted an almost perfect example of how the Noahic Flood is validated in earth geology.”

?? Is that the one:? You only forget the arguments you lose, apparently.

Thanks for confirming you have no explanation by posting the same evasive non-answer.

I remember you demanded to see evidence of where both the top and bottom layers of an angular unconformity contained fossilized life. You were shown several examples and then you vanished with no answers.

2 Likes

Hi @r_speir - A bare assertion like this–that offers no reasoning from evidence to inference–can scarcely be regarded as an answer. Did you provide that reasoning in your previous post? If not, would you care to do so now?

Best,
Chris

2 Likes

Are you lazy? Go look it up. It’s all there. I have no idea what the topic was so you will have to go on a hunt to find it.

It’s here: Cordova and Runyon on the fossil record - #322 by r_speir. But that was just a lame attempt at the first unconformity, and then you bailed on further examples. (Incidentally, nonconformities are not the same thing as unconformities.)

2 Likes

Where?

What evidence would show that the GC was created by a slow process, in your opinion?

That doesn’t rule out the possibility that canyons also form slowly.

1 Like

What evidence does it explain? Can you cite any evidence that requires a recent global flood?

1 Like

Many of us have looked up all of the evidence that flood geologists claim to have. I have yet to see any evidence that requires a recent global flood.

The evidence that I found the most enlightening is all of the grand claims that flood geologists made about the Mt. St. Helens lahars. For some reason, they just couldn’t understand how it destroyed their central argument. They were pointing out all of these geological features they claimed supported a recent global flood, but they failed to realize that these features were created by a local flood, not a global flood. They showed that all of the evidence they have been pointing to can be created by a local flood.

On top of that, flood geologists haven’t produced a reliable methodology for dating rocks. They can’t show that any of the features they are pointing to were laid down recently, or at the same time worldwide. They are a one trick pony. They say what the choir wants to hear, and they get applauded for it. As soon as you scrutinize any of their argument it completely crumbles, but they know that their audience will not doubt it and will not scrutinize it, at least not all of them.

4 Likes