Dembski: Building a Better Definition of Intelligent Design

Bill Dembski has posted a long, detailed, and interesting piece on how to define “intelligent design.” I enjoyed it and learned from it, and I wonder if it might stimulate some interesting discussion here.

It is IMO a tragic fact that this is the same Bill Dembski who gave us the insipid and childish “are you a devoted Darwinist” rubbish pile, and if that’s all you know of Dembski then it would be reasonable to avoid reading anything he writes and to wonder if I have recently hit my head. And this new piece does include plenty of the simplistic piffle that ID can’t live without – most notably to me the tedious caricatures of “Darwinism.”

But there’s some good stuff in here, I think. About what design is, about how it was contemplated by Aristotle and others, even about information. There’s some basic but interesting etymology. Here are some excerpts that I thought were worthy of thought:

The current standard definition of intelligent design, when confronted with Dawkins’ blind watchmaker argument, thus leads to a problematic dialectic. This dialectic pits intelligent or teleological causes against unintelligent or blind causes. The intelligent causes produce patterns best explained as the product of intelligence. The unintelligent causes, such as natural selection acting on random variations, produce patterns that appear to be designed although their explanation requires no appeal to actual intelligence.

This dialectic is problematic because it suggests a natural world in which intelligent and unintelligent causes mix indiscriminately, with no principled way of teasing them apart.

Dembski is right that Dawkins (and many others) agree that “unintelligent causes” result in things that “appear to be designed.” Here is how Dembski describes design (after Aristotle):

Not only did Aristotle know about the distinction between information and matter, but he also knew about the distinction between design and nature. For him, design consists of capacities external to an object. Design brings about form with outside help. On the other hand, nature consists in powers internal to an object. Nature brings about form without outside help. Thus in Book XII of his Metaphysics Aristotle wrote, “Design is a principle of movement in something other than the thing moved; nature is a principle in the thing itself.” In Book II of his Physics Aristotle referred to design as completing “what nature cannot bring to a finish.”

He ends with this clunky definition of “intelligent design,” which he thinks is an improvement over “the current standard definition.”

Intelligent design is the study of systems whose information output is best explained as the result of intelligently inputted external information rather than the inherent capacities of the systems.

There are some suspiciously, erm, flexible terms in there (“systems,” “external,” even “explained”) with a history of laugh-out-loud misuse by IDists. But Dembski adds commentary on the definition, and I thought it was a good read.

7 Likes

As a definition of “intelligent design” that must be seen as aspirational since it is certainly not the way the ID movement currently operates. Nor do I think it ever will. ID is predominantly - and always has been anti-evolutionary apologetics - and I don’t see any sign of that changing.

13 Likes

I did read Dembski’s piece. I was underwhelmed.

I don’t have a problem with the idea that intelligence is involved. But, as I see it, all of biology is intelligent. Dembski doesn’t see that, and mistakenly thinks that an external source of intelligence is required.

4 Likes

First point of clarification I would ask is "if the system outputs the information, how is anything external involved? If the information is external, how is the system involved?

If Dembski wishes to integrate design and nature, it may be the most promising path is to allow the internal necessity and sufficiency of designed nature, which is the fine tuning argument. While ID loves the necessity of fine tuning, they are loath to allow sufficiency, as that blurs out detectability.

As far as a scientific response to the Greek philosophers goes, including the influence of Aristotle, I really liked Steven Weinberg’s “To Explain the World”. The bottom line being, that despite their brilliance, introspection can only take one so far. Their four elements are useless for understanding states or composition of matter. Capabilities external to an object might not exist in any way beyond a set of natural laws which allow for them.

5 Likes

I agree completely. The ironic result is that design as a legit topic – which is how I read Dembski’s piece – is lost in the ID sewage.

5 Likes

The main problem that has continued to plague the ID movement is that it is really just a kind of conservative religious apologetics rather than a genuine attempt to find methods of design-detection. It continues to merely to be a tool to invoke in the culture war instead of an attempt to establish a novel branch of the science of biology.

The Discovery Institute has never discovered anything. And as long as the chief motivation driving the entire endeavor is the desire to transform society into a conservative theocracy, they never will.

When on rare occasion one of the ID people is able to put the culture war and apologetics aside and exercise a little bit of thought, it’s not always completely bonkers. It’s really a shame this part of their output is next to nonexistent.

8 Likes

Well, I will boldly predict that they will discover new ways to fool people into giving them more money without doing anything of value. They did come up with “Intelligent Design 3.0” in 2019, which they claimed they had been keeping under wraps and was going “to use design insights to open up avenues for new scientific discoveries.” Five years since that exciting unveiling, nothing AFAIK:

Now It Can Be Told: Intelligent Design 3.0 | Evolution News

…although I’d bet it bumped donations up temporarily.

7 Likes

I was put off by the first sentence of the introduction:

“Intelligent Deisign” refers to a scientific research program…

and then again by the first sentence by Dembski:

Existing definitions of intelligent design, whatever their imperfections, have been good enough to inspire a growing body of scientific research and philosophical reflection …

Neither is true. Their list of research papers starts with the one withdrawn because it bypassed the review process, and includes several from their in-house fake journal BIO-Complexity.

Dembski’s second sentence is no better:

Under these definitions, intelligent design has become an active and fruitful area of inquiry.

Intelligent design has borne no fruit, and is wilting.

Here’s Dembski’s meat:

Intelligent design is the study of systems whose information output is best explained as the result of intelligently inputted external information rather than the inherent capacities of the systems.”

That’s not what a designer does. It is what Dembski and his colleagues do. He is defining the ID ‘research’, not the ID hypothesis. Like ‘biochemistry’ as the physical interaction of molecules vs ‘biochemistry’ as a research and teaching programme. His ‘better definition’ is defining something completely different.

2 Likes

As written, the definition can apply to any field of study that involves human artifacts: history, archeology, architecture, engineering, literature, art history and theory, music history and theory, criminology, etc. etc. etc.

One thing it does not apply to is biology. The one thing Dembski and his colleagues purport to study.

Did the Grand Canyon just form itself? No outside help from weather, climate, lithology, tectonics, etc?

What “powers” in a sand grain form dunes?

2 Likes

I disagree, simply because we know complete step-by-step details of the intelligent design of numerous organisms, in which we can identify the specific “information” that was “intelligently inputted” into the “system.” They’re called GMOs.

If we’re going to claim that the definition doesn’t apply to biology, IMO we’ll have to stipulate that we mean that we have no evidence of “inputted external information” where “external” means “outside the biosphere” or even “outside physical reality.” And yes that means that Dembski’s definition of ID involves the “study of systems” that seem not to exist in our universe. But IMO that’s a lot different from saying the definition doesn’t apply. I think it clearly applies.

3 Likes

I don’t have much time just now, but two quick comments:

The modern conception is drawn from Shannon’s communication theory and subsequent work on the mathematical theory of information. The key idea underlying this conception of information is the narrowing of possibilities . Specifically, the more that possibilities are narrowed down, the greater the information.

(1) WD continues to get this backward. By either Shannon or Algorithmic Information Theory, MORE randomness means MORE Information. What WD means by “information” is lack-of-randomness.

And (2) It has been over 30 years and they are STILL trying to figure out how ID ought to be defined. One thing I’m sure ID doesn’t need are arguments from etymology.

Maybe 3 and 4 when I have time.

4 Likes

Right. I forgot about those.

1 Like

Good point. Living organisms do not have information outputs.

My understanding, from years of reading critiques of Dembski, is that he constantly mangles definitions (linguistic and mathematical) of “information” so thoroughly that it seems to me (and please correct me if I’m wrong here) that essentially no one of any scholarly standing takes any of his work seriously. So, as I might have expected, while I see “choice” being a key theme in Shannon’s 1948 paper, I don’t see him discussing “narrowing of possibilities” or anything similar. But… I am not a mathematician and could have missed it.

However, the Wikipedia description of “Information content” aka “surprisal” or “self-information” does seem to describe increases in “information” resulting from the outcome of a “choice.” I’m not sure “choice” is at all appropriate here but there is an emphasis on probability… e.g., I gain more information if you tell me that someone was hit by a meteoroid than if you tell me they weren’t. This does seem (to me) to be what Dembski means by “narrowing of possibilities,” especially if I start with something like “a meteoroid hit a city” and then “it hit near a baseball stadium” etc. I don’t think these notions are directly related to randomness but I could be wrong.

As a developmental biologist, Dembski’s discussion of “narrowing of possibilities” made me think of concepts of potency, fate, differentiation, and lineage. I tried to imagine how a cell fate decision (such as the decision to become a neuron as opposed to an epidermal cell) affects the “amount of information.” My mind went to the fact that the “decision” leads to a cascade of gene expression, effectively unlocking genetic/developmental information that was biologically unavailable. This is a tight and useful description of a developmental trajectory (i.e. it’s real biology) but I don’t know whether it’s relevant or valuable in a discussion of “information theory” especially when in the presence of a professional propaganda organization.

1 Like

These Wiki articles on Information seem to get completely rewritten every few years.

That cascade of gene expression has a great deal of biological meaning, but Information Theory does not deal with meaning. Information describes variability or bandwidth (Shannon). More variability could imply many different meanings, as in different ways a cell might develop. Or maybe not, if there are many different codings for the same sort of development.

How messages are encoded is something I’ve never seen addressed by Dembski. The only relevant “Coding” for DNA are the laws of chemistry*. I think Demski would like to claim he is measuring the complexity of the biological message that chemistry “decodes” from DNA, but this goes beyond Information theory.

1 Like

The Discovery Institute’s site “Evolution News” has a piece (yesterday) on why the properties of water indicate intelligent design:

Now unless I mistake, the properties of water are the consequence of the properties of hydrogen and of oxygen. And those have to be consistent with the Schroedinger Wave Equation.

If we mess around with that equation, I think we change everything in the universe. The idea that there is, somewhere in the universe, a master table giving the properties of water, available to be rewritten, is more than silly.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, Joe. This paper killed a few of my brain cells.

Even if that’s true (I don’t know) and even if it’s suspicious or bad (it’s not), I’m interested in an expert (that’s you) discussing the concepts of information content.

Yes even I know that. I’m interested in how the progression of genetic programs is related (if at all) to any mathematical concept of information.

FWIW I don’t care what anyone thinks of Dembski. In fact, it’s unlikely that most people here hold him or his work in lower regard than I do. My interest is in the things that Dembski claims to be interested in: how design happens and, related I think, how information accumulates. Yes I know that there is vast ambiguity hidden in the term “information” and I know this has been exploited by members of a Seattle-based anti-science collective. But it turns out that there are biologists who are keenly interested in applying information theory to various big questions, and I guess I thought that would be true at Peaceful Science as well.

The “narrowing of possibilities” is a relevant (if colloquially expressed) topic in developmental biology, to take a prominent example, and information theory seems to have something to say about that. The big question that is deliberately obscured by all ID people I have ever read is the one you refer to here:

This is something I’ve been writing about for years, and it’s a straightforward concept that reasonable people can understand, and IMO it undergirds one of a small collection of fundamental untruths that form the core of ID “strategy.” Dembski flirts with this concern in his piece, and I suspect he intentionally redirects the focus to “narrowing of possibilities” to distract thoughtful readers.

Anyway, sorry for going on, and no need to respond; I was wrong to think that the piece would stimulate discussion and will contemplate my delusions about that.

1 Like

Hey Steve,

Thanks for starting this discussion. It has given me some food for thought. FWIW, I’ve always thought that Dembksi’s first book was a fair attempt at codifying some scientific aspect of ID, by proposing some probability-based measure. The definitoin arrived at more recnetly:

“Intelligent design is the study of systems whose information output is best explained as the result of intelligently inputted external information rather than the inherent capacities of the systems.”

… seems to me to be backing away from The Design Inference, and rather embracing what I find to be a poor substitute, basically “it looks that way”. This is because, for anything not obviously connected with humans, there is no way to determine (heck, even define) “intelligently inputted external information”. As noted in this discussion, this leads back to the very origins of the universe and an embrace of extreme fine-tuning (another way of saying “it looks that way”). My own suspicion (that I am happy to be corrected on) is that the hard work of developing a system wherein probabilistic considerations in nature could be properly studied was and is just too much for the ID community. So they have reverted to a circular and unscientific definition.

I am curious - you state that a “narrowong of possibilities” in relevant various aspects of biology (such as developmental biology). You mention that information theory may have something to say about that. Is this your experience or alternately a hope for future research? Maybe you have gained some insight in your years working with scientific journals. I woudl welcome any recollections or reflections that could nudge this discussion along.

1 Like