Durston: Functional Information

@Kirk.

First, I am not interested in “non-functional” p53, we areinterested in carcinogenic p53.

Still waiting…

Second, before we get to actual data, I want to work, out this toy example. I note that you have not yet answered the question. What do you compute for H(cP53 | maxent) based on the observed sequences? It cannot be two or three numbers. It can only be a single number. The closest to a straight answere is here:

This seems to be an admission that the H(cP53 ) computed from sequences is 4 bits less than H(P53 ), even though it should be zero (in your mind). Strangely, you also wrote contradictory things to this point. It is a straightforward question. Looking at the extant sequences, what do you compute as the H(cP53)? What do you compute as H(P53)? What do you compute as H(ground)? What is required here is the numbers computed from the extant sequences because that is all you use to compute FSC.

Note also that this is not relative to anything. It is merely the number computed from the extant sequences. We should be able to compute the delta H between any two states once the H of all states are established. Why is it so difficult to give us this number?

Where to find cancer data

Third, when we do actually work with data, there are over 100,000 examples of normal p53 in ExAc, so try using that. There are over 10,000 examples of carcinogenic p53 in CTAG, so try using that. We have more than enough data to make sense of this. The numbers calculated from this data are very different than yours.

Why so difficult?

@Kirk, I’m not sure why this is taking so long to establish H(cP53) or why you are writing to so much. I am just asking you to apply your formula to cancer in a toy example ot produce a straightforward answer. It is a well defined problem.

Show me how you computed this number from the sequences in this example? It appears that you are stating what FSC should be, rather than what it actually is computed to be from extant sequences. We need to know what FSC is computed as, not what you think it should be if it is a valid measure of FI. So I should repeate, for our toy example (not jumping ahead), using extant sequences and the FSC method you published, what are theses quantities:

1. H(P53)
  2. H(cP53)
  3. H(ground)

I’ve asked this several times now:

So, based on extant sequences as have been described in this example, I compute it at:

H(P53) = 0
H(cP53) = 4
H(maxent ground state) = 1686

This means the FSC computations are:

FSC(P53) = 1686
FSC(cP53) = 1682

What numbers do you compute from the extant sequences in this example? Yes, I know you think FSC should equal zero to be valid. For your interpretation to hold, I agree. I am asking here instead what the actual FSC computation gives us, which is NOT zero, which means that FSC is not valid. If we can’t get a straight answer on this, it seems that that this conversation is coming to a close.