Early Cave Art Supports the Image of God

@Patrick , you have no basis, then, to assert the equality of all human beings, which allows you to concieve of everyone but you as being silly. That’s just silly. Historical stories DO have value, and when demonstrated, merit.

@Guy_Coe,

So no one can assert the equality of all human beings without believing in Adam? I think St Paul would disagree with you. His “from one” in Acts is probably a focus on the commonality between Christianity and other Greek religions regarding their understanding that human beings come from one source and are equal against other religions that posit some sort of separate origin for every separate race. See Craig Keener’s acts commentary as well as many others. These other religions didn’t believe in Adam.

2 Likes

Yes I do have a basis to assert the equality of all human beings. My own refined ethics, morals, and values of 2019. I would never use any historical story to set my present day morals, values and ethics. Historical stories do have a value usually on what NOT to do.

The characters Adam and Eve in the Genesis story was defined by the authors of Genesis as the first of the priestly line who existed in the Levant about 3500 years ago. There was a first priest and Genesis writes the hero fictional story about him.

1 Like

So, you take no lesson from, say, the story of the Holocaust? How about the story of Androcles and the Lion, or Winnie the Pooh? I am certainly not equating these with the biblical stories, but I think it makes a valuable point.
Why do you, by the way, spend so much time discussing what you see as “silliness?”
“Methinks he doth protest too much.”

1 Like

I learned a lot about the real stories of the Holocaust and the real museum pieces. But there is a big difference from real history writing and artifacts and fictional writings from the same time period. The bible is mostly highly embellished stories about quasi historical event. Sure a child can learn a lot from Winnie the Pooh but history it isn’t.

So, @Patrick, what has your “inner child” learned from the story of Adam and Eve? Why, for example, would anyone writing a “fictional hero story” write what’s written about Adam? He’s no hero at all; he’s just shy of becoming a second-rate “villain,” if anything.
“And now, for something completely different…”
A verb walks into a bar, sees a beautiful noun, and suggests they conjugate. The noun declines.

From the very first day in Kindergarten when I heard the Adam and Eve story I knew it was fake. How? Snakes don’t talk.

What did I learn from the story of Adam and Eve? Don’t believe every story you’re told. Be Skeptical, Learn for yourself.

It is not a snake, for the millionth time, lol.

Sorry serpent. Isn’t that a snake?

@Mark No; it’s God, not any optional chosen philosophy, Who declares all of humanity as created in God’s image," before Adam is even mentioned, and thus equal in value to Him. As a matter of worldview formation, it’s prominently displayed right there in the first chapter of Genesis, and it’s supposed to inform our own views, prior to any discussion of Adam the named individual, whose first appearance is in chapter 2, verse 20.

No that is not a snake. Snakes do not talk or have legs. So, of course, a serpent is not a snake. We have covered this many times with you. See for example: What is the Serpent?

Is it your way of telling a joke? You sound more like a chatbot on this one. Better stick with your usual fair, which is more funny in the end.

Must be a chatbot; he didn’t even notice my joke! : )
Did you mean “fare” or “flair?” Because I’d agree he usually has more flair.
Could be a temperature thing in NJ?

Funny story about my son and Adam and Eve. My son was five years old and we took him to the Natural History museum in London. He was enamored with Lucy the Australopithecus. He then came home and went to local CCD classes (We were a Cultural Catholic in-the-closet atheist family then) Upon hearing the Adam and Eve story for the first time, he asked the teacher if Eve was before or after Lucy.

2 Likes

Always fun to hear the kids trying to sort things out!
Is it freezing where you are? Spoiled in Seattle area, right now, at 46 degrees! Come on out!

Yes, I am freezing my kahonas off here.

Come on out! Those things are important to hang onto! : )
Everybody’s officially invited out to the PNW for warm weather!

Snakes do talk in quite a few stories, though. My favorite is the bicoloured python rock snake in The Elephant’s Child. And of course snakes did once have legs; they’re tetrapods. Why shouldn’t a snake talk and have legs in a story?

4 Likes

Also, snakes talk in the movie Alladin. And Jungle Book.

2 Likes