Evolution of increased complexity and specificity at the dawn of form I Rubiscos

A new paper involving ancestral sequence reconstruction and constructive neutral evolution.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1416

The abstract:

The evolution of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenases (Rubiscos) that discriminate strongly between their substrate carbon dioxide and the undesired side substrate dioxygen was an important event for photosynthetic organisms adapting to an oxygenated environment. We use ancestral sequence reconstruction to recapitulate this event. We show that Rubisco increased its specificity and carboxylation efficiency through the gain of an accessory subunit before atmospheric oxygen was present. Using structural and biochemical approaches, we retrace how this subunit was gained and became essential. Our work illuminates the emergence of an adaptation to rising ambient oxygen levels, provides a template for investigating the function of interactions that have remained elusive because of their essentiality, and sheds light on the determinants of specificity in Rubisco.

3 Likes

I saw this one, but I don’t have access. I’m probably better off waiting for someone more knowledgeable to summarize it. :slight_smile:

All paywalled sadly.

We’re talking about this in my Microbiology class right now. I’ll have to see if my university library can get the paper.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.