Evolutionary Algorithms and ID

I’ve already answered you at 29 but I thought you might be interested by @gpuccio’s insightful analysis of this issue below:

1 Like

What is the search space for 100 1-bit safes? What is the search space for on 100-bit safe? Ditto for the target spaces.

3 Likes

I think @Roy knows what he’s talking about. In the closely related field of machine learning, we have reinforcement learning with generative neural networks. I’ll call it RLWGNN for short. They maximize a reward function, but the details of strategy and tactics are unspecified; they are what the RLWGNN.does.

6 Likes

Functional information is estimated for a single specific function. In the first case you have 100 independent functions.

What are the target and search spaces? How many sequences are in each?

The search space for a 100 bit safe is 100 bits assuming one solution. The search space for a 1 bit safe is 1 bit assuming two possibilities only.

For there to be a 100bit search space in the case of 100 1bit safes all 100 safes need to have the proper code for the safes to open. In this case all 100 safes point to a single function of 100 1bit safes opening.

What are the target and search spaces for 100 1-bit safes? How many sequences are in each?

There are 100 targets not one.

So? There’s still a target space and a search space. What are they? How many sequences are in each?

5 Likes

This «500 bits » criteria is not arbitrary. 500 bits corresponds to the information content of an event having a probability of 1 out of 10^150 of occurring. This is what Dembski called the universal probability bound, which he defines as follow:
« A degree of improbability below which a specified event of that probability cannot reasonably be attributed to chance regardless of whatever probabilitistic resources from the known universe are factored in ».
So, according to ID theory, a single event of that probability (1/10^150), or put differently, an single event producing 500 bits of FI cannot be attributed to chance. In that case, design is the right explanation.

1 Like

Not unless there is one defined function. Until that is defined you cannot answer your question relative to functional information. Are there 100 independent searches going on or 1 search where 100 safes are involved?

We’re not talking about how it evolved. We’re talking about how it creates new information in real time using variation and selection.

1 Like

Why? Because you say so? Aren’t those goalposts getting heavy?

Next, you’ll be equivocating on the meaning of “thing.”

There is no “ID theory,” Gil. A theory is a hypothesis with a long track record of successful predictions. You’ve merely got a hypothesis that you’re clearly unwilling to test rigorously.

1 Like

I don’t see how “function” is any less arbitrary than “thing.”

Gotta make sure those goalposts are very mobile, right?

The claim is that FI is lower for the 100 safe case. That must mean that you can calculate a value for FI. Just tell me what it is, for whatever search you think is appropriate, and how it’s calculated.

ETA: The target is clear: open all of the safes present, whether 1 or 100.

3 Likes

Then we can easily set the “thing” or “function” as the humoral immune response, because based on a huge amount of data, there are easily 100 clones doing this function together, in parallel.

There’s also the cellular immune response, which does a similar, yet different thing.

Come on, Jordan, you’re a scientist. These guys have absolutely no intention of testing a hypothesis. @gpuccio even told us that his goal was polemic.

1 Like

FYI: There is extended discussion of the Safes and Thieves example here:

And here:

1 Like

But as we’ve been over many times, this assumes the thing in question was produced in a single event, as opposed to an accumulation of smaller events, some of which receive feedback from selection.

3 Likes

Then all arguments about how difficult it would be to “find” functions with blind searches are irrelevant to evolution and therefore fail as arguments against it. You should contact Dembski and tell him you’ve found a fatal flaw in his ideas.

1 Like

As shown below by @gpuccio, the new information you are talking about, although random in some aspects, is in fact produced by « functional protein engineering embedded in a complex biological system ». IOW, design is involved at all stages in the production of new information by the IS.
https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/antibody-affinity-maturation-as-an-engineering-process-and-other-things/