Experimental Evidence of 'Taking the Bait'

Three unsupported claims:

Try again.

1 Like

The genetic claims were discussed with over 1000 comments. Where is the model presented that reconciled deer common ancestry?

ā€œUp to date evidenceā€ does not automatically make a model correct. It also requires that the evidence is correctly interpreted and that good assumption are made ā€“ which requires expertise in the subject matter ā€“ expertise that both Behe and Snoke appear to lack.

Behe in fact has a very long track record of making grandiloquent and erroneous claims about subjects he has little expertise in ā€“ in his books, in his Dover testimony, and in his claims about that court case.

4 Likes

Right hereā€¦

6 Likes

You claim to know that deer common ancestry canā€™t be reconciled with the data. You have to show your work. You canā€™t expect other people to do it for you.

3 Likes

He canā€™t show his work, because he didnā€™t do any. Just like he canā€™t show his work in this thread either, because he hasnā€™t done any.

1 Like

I stand corrected.

In case itā€™s unclear, Haldaneā€™s Dilemma is all about the number of excess deaths required under Haldaneā€™s model in order to fix a novel mutation by selection. That is, itā€™s about the cost of selection. (There are of course alternative models of selection, e.g. soft or truncation selection, under which this cost isnā€™t incurred.) If I recall, he comes up with a maximum of around 3000 selective fixations since separation between humans and chimps, because a population could not sustain a greater reproductive cost without extinction. Given the millions of differences between the taxa, neutral evolution of most of the genome would seem the solution.

Nothing at all to do with whatever Bill is talking about.

1 Like

Where was there in that singularly-unproductive thread a ā€˜problemā€™ demonstrated with deer common ancestry that required ā€˜reconciliationā€™? All that was ever demonstrated was Billā€™s Personal Incredulity about genetics. That is not a problem. Of course a thread that never demonstrates a problem, but instead mostly consisted of people trying to get you to demonstrate one, will never produce a ā€˜reconcilationā€™ of this non-existent problem.

The only real problem here appears to be that (in spite of his claims about ā€œexperience evaluating economic and physics modelsā€) it would appear that Bill cannot do math. (I would note that he only claims to evaluate models ā€“ not to have any experience or competence actually creating them ā€“ which strikes me as a major red flag.) And the fact that he frequently bases his claims on those (like Behe and Snoke ā€“ but I suspect it also applies to a large number of other ID advocates) who demonstrate no expertise in Biology.

2 Likes

IIRC that wasnā€™t Haldane, that was Walter Remine (ab)using Haldaneā€™s theory. Haldane himself didnā€™t set such hard limits, and his original paper included an example with a lower cost of fixation (antelopes?)

I canā€™t check easily from my phone, but again IIRC I wrote this up on the Talk: page for Haldaneā€™s dilemma at CreationWiki, and since no-one there ever bothered with tge Talk: pages itā€™s probably still there.

The op simply asked the question could the difference between deer genetics be reconciled using population genetics mathematics.

Assuming Beheā€™s model is even moderately accurate it appears gene duplication and divergence is not a viable mechanism for explaining the differences.

Of course it isnā€™t. The deer data involve chromosomal mutations, not gene duplication. Whatever do you think youā€™re talking about? Beheā€™s model is irrelevant.

1 Like

Chromosome variation and gene variation were part of the discussion. If you remember you posted a paper that also showed the gene variation.

Beheā€™s model isnā€™t about gene duplication and divergence either, is it? Itā€™s about coordinated fixation of individually deleterious point mutations. How is it relevant? And need we mention the Texas sharpshooter fallacy again?

1 Like

Behe and Lynchā€™s are both about testing a model for the viability of gene duplication as an evolutionary mechanism.

The Texas sharp shooter fallacy is a label. There no empirical basis for this label accurately describing reality.

We are observing functional sequences (genes) not random sequences.

We have reached peak futility.

5 Likes

Every time I think he canā€™t dig deeper, he finds a bigger shovel.

2 Likes

I agree this argument is futile based on the defence of the single origin strategy being based on burden shifts and labels.

The facts are overwhelming that we have no model or even a concept of a model, based on currently proposed mechanisms, that can show us how the genetic changes occurred by the process of reproduction and ā€œnaturalā€ variation.

When is it time to re think the viability of the single point of origin model?

This could lead to more interesting discussions. You already posted a paper with this idea.

???

I will try to find itā€¦