GAE on InspiringPhilosophy

Have I misunderstood it? Why is that claim demonstrably false?

What I’ve understood is that two people in the recent past could be ancestors of all of us because even the population we have now has to collapse because of genealogical ancestry. Mainstream science just says that a bottleneck is not possible in that same timeframe because of genetics. So maybe something’s not getting through from the book or I’m remembering it wrong. I watched an interview from Josh before I’ve read the books and that was sort of my general takeaway.

So what am I missing?

I think that his statements was not precise enough, so that it seems incorrect. That’s what they are jumping on. I don’t think he meant that:

But I could be wrong.

You understand wrong. The population doesn’t have to collapse. Think of it this way. Suppose I put a drop of red dye into a swimming pool. After some period of time that dye diffuses to that there’s a little bit of red throughout the pool. That’s Adam and Eve. But I also put a drop each of green, blue, orange, puce, teal, ochre, pink, etc. into the pool, and there’s a little bit of all those colors everywhere too. You can’t say that the pool color collapses to red if I turn back the clock, right? That’s GAE. There is no bottleneck. In fact, a genealogical bottleneck would also be a genetic bottleneck, so we can know that no such thing happened, at least within several hundred thousand years.

Nearly everyone who had a child 2,000 years ago is an ancestor of everyone in a given population.

It seemed to me he was implying there’s no reason Noah’s descendants couldn’t be everyone who has populated the local flood area of the ME. If you think that’s not correct genetically maybe you should let him know.

Yes, I understand that’s your point, but if all scientists only knew genealogy and nothing of genetics, as far as I see it even they would say there’s no reason that two couldn’t populate the earth to the population today within the timeframe of the genealolgies of the Bible. That’s why I was interested in the concept in the first place.

1 Like

You are incorrect on this too. Yes, you might get the population we have today, but there’s no way you could get the population needed to, for example, construct the pyramids. Nor does this have anything at all to do with genealogy or GAE, just with the possible rate of increase in a human population. If that’s why you got interested, you misunderstood everything.

Feel free to put evidence behind this assertion.

That’s fine. What I took away wasn’t the GAE hypothesis but some of the implications.

Still a quote from the book (not sure why it’s capitalizing my copy and paste):

ADAM AND EVE, ANCESTORS OF US ALL, could have lived as recently as six thousand years ago, in the Middle East.

And my favorite quote from this article. :slightly_smiling_face: Sorry it is fun to cite.

Go back a bit further, and you reach a date when our family trees share not just one ancestor in common but every ancestor in common. At this date, called the genetic isopoint, the family trees of any two people on the earth now, no matter how distantly related they seem, trace back to the same set of individuals. “If you were alive at the genetic isopoint, then you are the ancestor of either everyone alive today or no one alive today,” Rutherford says. Humans left Africa and began dispersing throughout the world at least 120,000 years ago, but the genetic isopoint occurred much more recently—somewhere between 5300 and 2200 B.C., according to Rohde’s calculations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.