Gauger on Lents: Beauty in Error

@Agauger, great post. Thanks for taking this approach. It suites you well,

He first enumerates the flaws he finds in the human body, many of which have been discussed here already. It is not my intention to argue about flaws or points of disagreement. Instead I want to say a little about where I agree.

Mutation as an opportunity, not just an error:

Mutations are either the consequence of damage to the DNA or random copying errors during replication of the DNA. They are a natural process. We think of mutations as bad things. But they can be helpful. They sometimes cause disease but they also can ameliorate other diseases. Information from mutations can be used to unravel the intricacies of cell and molecular biology. They provide diversity so that no two of us are the same.

I really like how she ends:

“Men Are Men, They Needs Must Err”

So says the nurse to Hippolytus, in Euripides’ play by the same name. It seems Lents agrees.

From talking about our physical flaws, he moves to the mistakes we make. But he takes it one step further. He credits both our inherited flaws and personal mistakes for making us who we are. He draws the moral lesson that:

All we must do to continue to thrive is to learn from our mistakes. But before we can learn from them, we must acknowledge them. Personally, I go further than that. I celebrate them.

I can agree with that. And then he closes with something I can heartily agree with.

Of all the species that have ever walked the earth, we may be the most flawed, but we are certainly the most beautiful.

@Agauger, great response to @NLENTS. Thank you for that article. I hope it is received well in the ID world.

3 Likes