Gpuccio: Functional Information Methodology

Thank you! Seriously, this is one of the biggest acknowledgments I have ever received from the other side.

Yes. Indeed, in many proteins. CARD11 is just one example.

That’s exactly what I have tried to do. My comment for your blog is, of course, only a brief summary with a couple of examples.

I have described in detail my results for vertebrates in this OP:

https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/the-amazing-level-of-engineering-in-the-transition-to-the-vertebrate-proteome-a-global-analysis/

In brief, I have tested the whole human reference proteome against 9 groups of organisms, chosen, with some practical compromise, to represent the natural history of metazoan. For each human protein, a blast comparison was made versus all the protein sequences present in the NCBI database for that group of organisms, and the best hit chosen. I used the donwnaded version of Blast to perform the comparisons automatically.

So, my database has the best hit of each human protein with each class of organisms, in terms of bitscore, bits per aminoacid, and difference with the previous class. I use that database for all my analyses, and the R software to analyze results and draw graphics.

You can read in the OP above mentioned that I have found about 1.7 million bits of new FI appearing in vertebrates, just at the start of their natural history.

You can find the general graph with the mean values, in baa, for each class, in the above mentioned OP (Fig. 1). You can see the general jump in vertebrates, which is better analyzed in the following figures.

However, the important point is not only the generic jump, but the fact that the significant jumps can be found in specific classes of proteins, especially those involved in immune response and brain development. That is good confirmation that my methodology is really measuring the relevant information novelties.

Your next statement deserves a rather more detailed answer, so I will have to postpone it to next post (as soon as possible).