How did the Bombardier Beetle Evolve?

Doesn’t that depend on what the Bombardier beetle evolved from? What did the ancestor have in place of this shooting mechanism? What functions did it serve?

The many solutions claim is without support.

No it isn’t. Other beetles exist that survive and avoid predators by countless other methods and strategies. So it is from another beetle with whatever structures and mechanisms it had in place from which the Bombardier beetle evolved. I’m going to guess most insects have glands from which they can secrete various chemicals. Sex pheromones, predator repellants or what have you. Actually it’s not a guess, we know this is the case.

In my ignorance of insect anatomy, I’m going to guess these multiple different fluid secretion systems are probably all homologous in different aspects. It is interesting to consider that all insects have some sort of system by which they secrete things out of some rear-end opening. The venom glands and stingers in bees, wasps, and ants, are probably all homologous, and probably all distantly related to the secretion systems we see it beetles, including the Bombardier beetle.

It is also my understanding that all insects have their rectum in that location, and that in the end all these venom, pheromone, and I suspect whatever secretion glands are ultimately all derived from some secretion glands in the common ancestor of all insects that might have served some role in digestion, maybe by covering the intestinal lining in mucus for the easier flow of waste products through the digestive tract etc. etc.

Its a paradigm that is mission critical for evolution yet it has no basis of reality of how irreducibly complex structures are built starting with code. ALL the different sequences depend on each other. Looking at a sequence that produces a high level function and concluding that it was not the product of trial and error is not the Texas sharp shooter fallacy. It is a rational conclusion. Just like looking at a bla bla bla bla…

I have no idea what any of that is supposed to mean it’s your usual “sequence space” “mission critical” word salad.

2 Likes