Information is Additive but Evolutionary Wait Time is Not

To be clear,

This is not true. If these objects are independent, than they are exactly 100 bits of FI.

I’d like to know in what context you think it is correct. Can you tell me @glipsnort?

Look at the example offered:

What is going on here is that @gpuccio has (wrongly) equated wait time with exp(FI). Wait time and FI are not the same thing though, and are not related this way. Wait time is much lower than this equation indicates if the system is decomposable. This is not precise (and I can derive the exact if you are curious),

1. In fully decomposible system (100 safes) the wait time is about log 100. Note that you can try all the safes at once. So 100 theifs on 100 1-bit safes.

2. In a non-decomposible system (1 safe, with a 100-bit combination), the wait time is 2^100.

The computation above is not precise (the log 100), and it has a distribution. I can work it out exactly if people want. Though, perhaps @Dan_Eastwood or @nwrickert wants to jump in.

What is the FI? In both cases the FI is 100 to achieve full function. It both cases there is one configuration in a space of 2^100, so the FI is 100 bits. The point is that FI is not wait time. You cannot equivocate the two.

As the OP states, for an independent multi-component system, FI is additive but wait time is not.

1 Like