Introducing Jeffb

Continuing the discussion from Looking for a Software Programmer That Cares About Faith/Science Dialogue:

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Nice to meet you @jeffb. What do you mean by ā€œbiblical creationistā€?

Iā€™ll add you to the private thread on thisā€¦

Thank you @swamidass.
ā€œBiblical Creationistā€ - Phrases certainly carry meaning, donā€™t they? Iā€™m a creationists who adheres to a young-earth (YEC). As a few others have, I started preferring ā€œbiblical creationistsā€ because itā€™s about more than the earthā€™s age (young vs. old). It communicates placing a high priority on scripture (hence the ā€œbiblicalā€ prefix), when exploring creationist narratives. I suppose thatā€™s my best explanation.

But if you want to translate that as YECā€¦or any other phrase, positive or negative for that matter, I certainly donā€™t mind.

I read over the thread briefly, thank you. Interesting topic! Iā€™ll research it a bit more as I have timeā€¦

3 Likes

If that is what you mean (placing a high priority on Scripture), Iā€™m an example of a biblical creationists that affirmed evolution, and rejects YEC on both biblical and scientific grounds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well it sounds like you have confidence in what you believe in, and thatā€™s key! Itā€™s hard to argue with a personā€™s confidence in their world-view. I think thatā€™s more important than terms and phrases.

2 Likes

I have reasonable confidence in what Iā€™ve seen for myself in science and in Scripture. That is not so much a worldview. Here, our goal isnā€™t arguing for the sake of winning. We want to understand and to be understood.

1 Like

Yes, a very good concept. I appreciate that you have that goal here. Iā€™m not one who tries to win arguments, nor do I have any need to defend myself. But I do like good feedback; in fact I thrive on criticism. Along those lines, I do have a few questions Iā€™d like to post here eventually.

4 Likes

Welcome, @jeffb

Did I understand correctly that youā€™re interested in doing the coding role @swamidass was advertising for?

I guess, even if your participation in the forum strongly advocates one position, I imagine your code wouldnā€™t. :wink:

2 Likes

How do you know @evograd?

The floor is yours.

Welcome to PS, Jeff.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree more. Putting the words of the Bible first, (and admitting what they clearly teach), is of paramount importance.

You just gotta be creative in how you code.

Every line a special creation

2 Likes

But it was, right? :wink:

Correct, code remains opinion-neutral.

1 Like

Question: Which field in our profile is displayed as our title, such as Swamidassā€™s ā€œConfessing Scientistā€?

1 Like

I posted a question on his blog. He suggested I post my question here. I will eventually, but being new here, it would be best if I took time to learn the community first. Lots of existing posts to read through!

1 Like

Welcome to Peaceful Science, @jeffb

I think the Discourse Software labels that fieldā€”which usually contains a memberā€™s ā€œtitleā€ā€”the NAME field.

You can choose your name and username. We choose titles, but you can make suggestions.

2 Likes

(I think Iā€™ll post this here)

Soā€¦Iā€™ve had a few questions about me, (and others may later), so I Iā€™ll take some time to post an (all too long) ā€œAbout meā€ page of sorts all at once. Which BTW is something I prefer not to do: talk about myself. And BTW-2, not that Iā€™m feeling the need to, but Iā€™m not one to defend myself. That Mohawk in my profile aughtā€™a to tell you that.

Funny story there: After two months of COVID-work-from-home earlier this year, I let my hair grow out. Just before going back to work, for fun I shaved a Mohawk. My wife liked it. I showed my kids, and none of them liked it, so then I thought ā€œOk Iā€™m definitely keeping it!ā€ā€¦ Then I went and got earingā€™s and tattoo! My mom certainly doesnā€™t like any of it, but since Iā€™m over 50 now, thereā€™s not much she can say!

Ok I digressā€¦

So in the 1st month here Iā€™ve occasionally made comments about how my ā€œlove for scienceā€ is one reason I enjoy being a biblical creationists, to include a young earth (which is admittedly harder to defend). A few have asked for more details. As for belief in a young-earth, that took many years to study, and has so many ā€˜partsā€™ to it. Although I found my answer to be intellectually satisfying, itā€™s not so easy to explain briefly to others because of all the ā€˜piecesā€™ involved. At some point Iā€™ll post about it. But by my estimate it will probably be best done in three threads (unless I can figure out a way to make it shorter).

Brief testimony (Feel free to skip!)
I got a ā€˜love for scienceā€™ from my father who taught science when I was young. However my true acceptance of creation is rooted in having an incredible relationship with God which began in college in the 90s.

Soon after, I started researching creation/evolution. But back in the 90sā€¦it was tough being a creationist. After a while I just lost interest and completely stopped.
Fast forward over a decade, I decided to take up research again on creation/evolutionā€¦and was surprised at what had transpired. There were now creation websites! I started reading everything I could! It was exciting. But then at one point I actually stopped researching. I thought, ā€œHas creation really gotten that much better??ā€ I didnā€™t like the thought of living in an echo-chamber. I didnā€™t like the thought of believing stuff that in reality is not very solid. So I started researching as many arguments against creation I could find. I also researched arguments for evolution. It was intimidating at first, and challenging to my knowledge level at the time, but I kept at it. And in the end, that research was very satisfying. It really boosted my confidence in creation. Later I decided I wanted to share some of this with others, perhaps teach on it. But that only drove me to do something I have great conviction over: Spend a LOT of time praying over this. And I mean ā€œGod, I insist you tell me what is right here. I insist you change my mind if I am wrong. If evolution is true, I insist you tell me!ā€ That was also satisfying. I still pray that prayer!

Soā€¦@John_Harshman, sorry for the ā€˜short story longā€™. Now to your question:

Ok, yes, I was kidding. I thought it was funny.

So my real answer: I do read a lot of creation/ID literature. But in addition, I continually do the following:

1. Research arguments for evolution
  2. Research arguments against creation
  3. Pray ā€œGod change me if Iā€™m wrong!ā€

And those three are some of my favorite things to do! I love studying evolution! Really, itā€™s fun! And I always take time to try and read arguments against creation (except for the super long ones). Iā€™ve read things like Coyneā€™s ā€œWhy evolution is trueā€, and Burkeley Universityā€™s ā€œEvolution 101ā€ website. I always jump on any ā€œTop evidences for evolutionā€ (those are great to read!). When I watch creation/evolution debates, I skip the creation part and head straight to the evolution part. All this I find very satisfying.

Having said all that, I ponder your question to me. Iā€™ve heard a number of other evolutionists allude to these ā€œecho-chamber creationistsā€ who ā€œonly read from creationist websites.ā€ And Iā€™m thinking ā€œwho are these people??ā€ If they really do exist (which I donā€™t doubt some do) Iā€™m wondering ā€œWHAT ARE THEY THINKING???ā€ Seriously, donā€™t they know how fun it is as a creationist to study evolution? Donā€™t they know how satisfying it is to ensure you take the time to study arguments against your own beliefs? Donā€™t be afraid to folks!

So John, thatā€™s my answerā€¦that and of course my daily lunches with Hovind and Ham. :blush:

6 Likes