Is Helicase a House of Cards?

OK, who has post #20 in the “Creationist makes strawman of evolution being only random, omits all mention of selection” in the pool? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I see. You deny that an ID theory exist. Ok, I will not argue with you about this.
So let me reformulate my critic to @T_aquaticus as follow:
«This is utterly false. Clearly, you don’t understand the Specification-based ID argument »
Now do you see that on substance I am right and @T_aquaticus is wrong?

You still need to relate this to biology and evolution.

1 Like

As ID supporters do, I declare that the random protein sequence I got from the webtool as being specified. This is no different than saying helicase is specified after it emerges.

3 Likes

You haven’t shown that a motor is analogous to biology. You just assert it.

It is also worth mentioning that there are functioning helicase dimers, and there is the possibility of functioning monomers:

Forming a ring structure really isn’t that difficult since all you need is one binding domain at a certain angle to the region it binds to.

2 Likes

This is a false claim.

The ID crowd understands if the lottery had 100 balls instead of 6 the probability is that no one would ever win the lottery.

Except that isn’t the case, as shown by enzyme activity being found in randomly assembled regions in antibodies.

2 Likes

How many protein types have you surveyed? In how many applications? PRP8 has 99.9% sequence identity in mice and humans. This looks more line 1000 balls.

That seems like a fool’s errand because there will never be enough examples to meet your requirements. Whenever a new function is found you will say “Well, what about this one?”.

Sharpshooter fallacy.

4 Likes

Skillful dodge :slight_smile:

That’s what your demand for a prp8 abzyme is, a dodge. Instead of dealing with the functions that have emerged in random sequence you just say, “But what about that one??”.

1 Like

If you back off the grand claims of UCD and you have a known mechanism for all diversity I will back off.

A lot of evolutionary theory is very good. It is just not a complete explanation of life’s diversity.

Do you agree there is very strong evidence for common descent of humans with the great apes? Is that part that is very good?

I think there is good evidence here for common descent. I don’t think we have a complete mechanistic explanation. I like your GAE option.

1 Like

Sorry, we don’t negotiate with terrorists. :grinning:

Who in science ever said evolutionary theory is a complete explanation for anything??

1 Like

Dawkins. I have to say I liked your terrorist comment made me laugh.

Positivists kind of have to, don’t they?

1 Like

@DaleCutler not really. That seems to be a misreading of positivist, scientists and Dawkins.

@Giltil and @stcordova, Good evening. How many possible specifications for functional proteins consisting of 100 amino acids are there?

Once we have an empirically established number, then we can talk meaningfully about the ability of the evolutionary machinery to produce any particular sequence of that length.

And please do not cite Axe, whose experiment was not designed to answer that question.

Best,
Chris

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Analogies for and Against Evolution and Design